Megalithic Paintings
This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stonehenge: Constable .v. Turner
Dec 01, 2006, 13:15
Could I cut Joe's lighting-struck sheep and shepherd off and glue them onto John's picture? That would be ideal.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Gough's Drawings of the King's Stone
Dec 01, 2006, 18:28
"There are three drawings: of the North side, the West side, and the South-West side. They are executed in watercolour. The drawings of the Stone from the North side show every evidence of care and attention to detail... That these drawings are in the main correct, allowing for a certain degree of "artist's licence," appears to be substantiated by the similarity between Gough's drawing of the Stone from the West side, and the drawing by Bloxam from the same aspect made in 1865, and reproduced in the "Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeology Society" for 1874 (Vol. V: "Sepulchral Monuments of Warwickshire.")."*

* From Appendix 3, Gough's Drawings of the King's Stone in the Bodleian Library (Gough MSS) in The Rollright Stones and The Men Who Erected Them by T H Ravenhill. Cornish brothers Ltd. 1932.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Earliest (detailed) sketch of Stonehenge
Dec 05, 2006, 11:30
From The Times, 4 December 2006 -

"The earliest realistic depiction of Stonehenge, a drawing within a manuscript dating from the 1440s, has been discovered in northern France. It is one of three medieval images that are known to have survived. The story of the discovery will be told in British Archaeology, which will come out on Friday."
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Earliest (detailed) sketch of Stonehenge
Dec 07, 2006, 12:02
The British Archaeology magazine for January-February 2006-2007 carries a six page article by Christian Heck on the newly discovered sketch of Stonehenge in the Scala Mundi manuscript. There is a full-page colour illustration of the leaf containing the illustration, as well as three other illustrations of Stonehenge from early sources, one of which is a second full page-illustration of Stonehenge in the Douai manuscript which now in Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The English translation of the Latin immediately below the Scala Mundi sketch of Stonehenge reads -

That year Merlin, not by force but art, brought and erected the giants' round from Ireland, at Stonehenge near amesbury.

The article concludes with a two-column postscript by Mike Pitts entitled, Was Geoffrey Right? The magazine is well worth buying just for the fantastic colour illustrations (it also includes articles on the Bosnia Pyramid and the Tombs and Stone Circles on Banc Du).
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Lascaux paintings under threat?
Jan 02, 2007, 18:25
An article in the latest issue of the journal, Studies in Conservation, reports on the condition of the walls of the Great Hall of the Bulls in the prehistoric cave of Lascaux and warns of, "...the appearance of damp areas on the walls due to the microclimate in the chamber. If water evaporates from the walls, this could lead to crystal growth and the appearance of a calcite film obliterating the rock surface in general and, more importantly, the painted figures."*

The threat seems to be from two distinct, and natural, hydrological 'regimes' within the chamber and not to human activity (though human activity outside the chamber might be affecting what goes on within it :-( Whatever, it would be a tragedy beyond belief if these prehistoric paintings were lost.

* Studies in Conservation. Journal of the International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works. Vol. 51, No. 4, page 251.
whipangel
137 posts

Paul Nash at Liverpool's Walker Art Gallery
Mar 02, 2007, 14:54
I couldn't find the thread where we discussed the megalithic paintings of Paul Nash, so I'm dropping this in here.

Should anyone be planning a visit, Paul Nash's 'Landscape of the Moon's Last Phase', a view of Wittenham Clumps, is no longer on view at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool.

I will try and find out if it's on loan or in storage - there was certainly a gap on the wall and I couldn't find it elswhere.
Chris
Chris
165 posts

Re: Megalithic Paintings
Mar 02, 2007, 15:19
I'd completely forgotten about this thread so it seems a good place to volunteer this painting of Callanish:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/55341

Painted by the extremely talented Kathryn Crocker from one of my feeble photos. It really does look even better 'in the flesh' you can really see the moonlight glimmering of Loch Roag....
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Mar 02, 2007, 16:40
Wow! That's absolutely fantastic!

I see the photo it's based on - amazing likeness...

Cheers for the head's up - looks like another great artist!

G x
Chris
Chris
165 posts

Mar 05, 2007, 11:14
Glad you liked it:-) I could sit for hours, just staring at it....

I believe it's the first megalithic painting Kathryn's done - I think she should do more...
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Mar 05, 2007, 13:29
Hell yes! Definitely!

Can't believe that's her first... I think the atmosphere's captured perfectly!

Still - plenty more similar subject matter in her neck of the woods!

G x
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index