Worcester

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Worcester
Feb 06, 2002, 01:19
I've spent many an hour on Bredon Hill, nr Birlingham, one of my ancestral homes. Pinvin nearby is named after Penda, the pagan king who ruled from British Camp (now known somewhat dully as Hereford Beacon' or somesuch. Bredon has a small hillfort and a folly on the top. But the 'f e e l' of the place is all, it's an ancient, ancient landscape, fruit garden of England, there are orchards there that still produce fruit from hybridised trees that are so rare there is only one field of them. Shall have to scatter the ashes of me grandaddy on Bredon one day, it makes me buzz inside with weirdness and goodness.

If you get the chance, visit Croft Castle, between worcs and hereford, and take the walk up the spanish chestnut avenue to Croft Ambrey, a vast and saucily located iron age hillfort.

http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/ is a fascinating resorce for Mercian mysteries.

If you ever want a guided tour of Wychbury Hill, North Worcestershire, which is still (for me at least) one of life's greatest unsolved mysteries, give me a shout I'd be happy to oblige.

Whatever you do Scott, hope you have some fun and see some snowdrops, they're going crazy here!

hurrah!

Morfe

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index