Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Calling Mr Hamhead
Sep 28, 2006, 16:45
Mr Hamhead

I have it on authority that you know a fair bit about all things megalithic in Cornwall. Me and the future mrs jacksprat are down there in two weeks, is there anywhere you'd recommend in particular? I'm not familiar with the area at all - I'll probably only get one day to explore as I am the enthusiastic half of the partnership and have to compromise! If you (or anywhere else reading) could recommend some spots that could be visited in a day, I'd be really grateful to hear suggestions?

Thanks in advance
JS
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: Calling Mr Hamhead
Sep 28, 2006, 16:51
Dear Mr Spratt

Where will you be staying?

Mr H
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Sep 28, 2006, 16:57
Hello Mr Hamhead!

Near Truro - in a little B&B the FMJ has organised it - I'll get the specifics and post again tonight or in the morning if that will help? I know it's a couple of miles out of Truro, but to be honest, if there's anywhere you'd recommend, stone circles in particular, then we'd be happy to travel.

Many thanks :o)
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Sep 28, 2006, 17:16
Ahhh JS (& FMJS), you'll be spoilt for choice. We once did a day of Quoits - Lanyon, Men-an-Tol and Chun Quiot and Castle. Had some stone virgins in tow but they seemed quite happy with the day out (also went to a cracking pub which served amazing curries, somewhere near Morvah, I think....we went there after Chun Quiot but before Men-an-Tol, if memory serves)

Other trips have included a day out at Carn Euny which is pretty amazing followed by a visit to the rather more sedate Merry Maidens.

There is loads to see in Kernow, you will be spoiled for choice. I'm just glad one of my best friends and my brother both live down there!
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Sep 29, 2006, 07:25
Thanks for the suggestions Vicster! Tha's great. Hopefully the weather will be better than it is where I am today. I'm thinking of building an ark and sailing down to Cornwall! If there's so much as a hint of moisture in the air, FMJ won't go within a country mile of the outdoors!
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Sep 29, 2006, 07:37
Hi JS

Its a little wet down here this morning! Was up on Brown Willy yesterday and at one point you could not see your hand infront of your face and the rain was coming down like stair rods..then it all cleared and we had the most fantastic views...

Will draw up some rough days out later...

Mr H
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Sep 29, 2006, 07:39
Hi JS, when are you down there? We're off down there on the 7th for a week, staying in Penzance.
Maybe chance of a meetup?

A.
oxford stu
oxford stu
402 posts

Sep 29, 2006, 11:19
morning
The penwith area is a must, magical and old. Men-an-tol, at least lanyon qouit and the merry maidens. the pub at zennor is good (worth going into the church to see the mermaid chair as well).

on the other-hand, bodmin moor is pretty full of stuff. King arthur's hall, though difficult to get to is interesting and there are plenty of circles near there.
have a great time, it is a magical place.
stu (an ex-resident who could see the sea from his school class-room, now sadly as about as far from the sea as you can get).
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Sep 29, 2006, 12:19
Hello Oficant sir. We're down on the 13th (Friday woooo) So if the car doesn't blow up on the journey down, maybe on the Saturday? You may have left though, boo.

Mr Hamhead and Oxford Stu, muchos thankos, great tips. I love this website.

Cheers
JS
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Sep 29, 2006, 12:58
Dang! We'll be leaving early on the Saturday - 6 hour journey home with 2 cats in the car :-(

Not to wory, no dobt there'll be other opportunities! Check out some of my early weblogs if you're looking for itineraries and doable site lists...
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index