Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Winter or Summer - when's best

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wideford
1086 posts

Winter or Summer - when's best
Sep 11, 2006, 16:27
Back in west Deerness and the previous visit's missed site that I expected nothing from had nice curves whilst the mound I'd been to in July was in inchoate mass of grass and dockans. So is there any general rule as to when site visits are most informative (the O.S. seem to have bad luck) or does it depend on what you are looking for at the time ? Supplementary question is are certain types of site more suited to different seasons ?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Winter or Summer - when's best
Sep 11, 2006, 17:04
For me it does vary. Summer is best for peat/heathland sites, because the ground is a bit less squelchy. Most other sites I prefer in Winter, because the bracken etc is low and (unless surrounded by conifers) the views are more open.

However, since hitting a patch of black ice 3 years ago and cutting straight across oncoming traffic I'm a bit wary of early morning set-offs in the Winter.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: Winter or Summer - when's best
Sep 11, 2006, 22:47
I find Cornwall best just before midsummer...after that the bracken starts to climb above the stones and things. When I had a 4x4 i enjoyed frosty mornings but like 4w's i tend to stay in bed to be on the safe side now.

Mr H
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index