Stonehenge and its Environs »
The bluestone debate

Pages: 39 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
muddymick
136 posts

Re: The bluestone debate
Jun 20, 2006, 11:58
I will try to forget, the stones that are set. In around on salisbury plaine, though who didn't put em there tis easy to declare. the druids, to cursuswalkers disdain! qoute from bobby nostrils of rombalds moor, regards MM
korgilud
1 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 01:00
I believe the bluestone found off the Welsh coast (in the Cleddau estuary) was a stone lost when a group had tried to re-enact the transportation of these stones to Stonehenge! Even with modern technology they couldn't manage it; doesn't mean it didn't happen though.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 06:28
I believe the bluestone found off the Welsh coast (in the Cleddau estuary) was a stone lost when a group had tried to re-enact the transportation of these stones to Stonehenge!

Yes, there was an attempt to recreate the transportation of a three-tonne bluestone from Preseli to Stonehenge six years ago; it sank off the Pembrokeshire coast. There's a short news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/794299.stm

But I'm sure I read a newspaper report some years ago of an ancient worked bluestone that had been discovered on the seabed - will have another go at trying to find the press cutting.
Rune
288 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 12:48
>>But I'm sure I read a newspaper report some years ago of an ancient worked bluestone that had been discovered on the seabed - will have another go at trying to find the press cutting.
Rune
288 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 12:51
The half of my previous message that I obviously wrote in invisible ink actually said...

Wasn't it found in a dock, Littlestone, that was being extended. Maybe even Pembroke Dock?

Rune
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Last British ice sheet
Jun 21, 2006, 13:50
I haven't had time to look through the threads to follow the discussion but if anyone's interested, some researchers at Sheffield have put together a fantastic map of the last British ice sheet - including the limits of transported erratics. Scroll down the link to find a pdf file of the southern UK map - there's no evidence of glaciers in the area.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/geography/staff/clark_chris/britice.html
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 14:23
Yes! that rings a bell Rune - knew I wasn't imagining it :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 14:36
Yes and no. That's where the millenium stone sank. But, there have been "several cases of divers having found other bluestones there" as well - though none authenticated I suppose. No geologists have gone down there i suppose. Sounds like a fun project for someone...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 16:22
But, there have been "several cases of divers having found other bluestones there" as well - though none authenticated I suppose.

Got a link to any news items/articles there Nigel (still can't find the press cutting I keep wittering about and it's driving me crazy :-( Reckon it's important though - if there are ancient worked bluestones on the seabed around Wales that as near damn proves they were being transported in antiquity and the glacial theory is dead.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 16:28
I recall seeing something about this on a tv prog that concluded the stones were worked ballast stones.
Pages: 39 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index