'sacred' sites

30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
follow that cow
follow that cow
277 posts

Re: 'sacred' sites
Jun 07, 2006, 16:29
>>I would posit that to fully explore these sites (and there nature) we therefore must explore ourselves, our very nature. we must contextualise our external lanscape by that with which we relate to it our very counciousness <<

Hi MM,

Why I am drawn to all history and pre history in particular is for this very reason that it helps to >>explore ourselves, our very nature << However, I don't get the idea that these sites are in any way more important, in a metaphysical sense, than any other human construction. What they do is remind me that everything changes. They help me to see today with more clarity. An example of this would be on Lewis where I can find the great, grey, concrete block bus shelters that were erected as a protection from the prevailing west gales, just as fascinating as the more mainstream 'historical' buildings.

I search for a narrative to these ancient structures, the whats, whys and wherefores; and I praise the forever forgotten names of those men and women who built them. The greatness that I can see in these forgotten ancestors I try to see in those around me in our present age, and also in myself.
Because, more often than not, we forget just who and what we really are. These structures help me to remember.

;-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index