Topic View: Flat | Threaded
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Winter Solstice @Stonehenge
Dec 27, 2001, 16:19
nice, that's all I can say ...

well, it's not ... dawn was stunning:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=2046

it was gorgeous seeing the stones so orange --- it had been clear all night, then clouded over just before sunrise, except for a little sun-height gap right on the horizon ...

then, as the sun was coming up, it started snowing, and a rainbow, or "snowbow" appeared ... oh, it was bonkers. Mrs G was quite struck by the sheer number of quite clearly barking mad people about ...

heh

RG
Martin
401 posts

Re: Winter Solstice @Stonehenge
Dec 28, 2001, 23:02
Hey RG,
How ya doin matey? Loved yer Solstice@Stonehenge pics- beautiful so they were. I spent the Solstice at somewhere not so very grand- a small standing stone in the south of Edinburgh- it was a glorious afternoon up these parts too and I was blessed by a setting sun over the Pentland Hills- nice ;) And surprise surprise, there was only me there- no Arthur Pendragon and friends and assorted nutters that ya described- sounds fun!
I had the adventure of the year though on Yule eve at a long forgotten site called Hawthornden- wading rivers and climbing cliffs- I'll try and get my fieldnotes posted this weekend- what a total headfuck of a site.
Anyways- Yuletide greetings to the Gibbons- you seem to be the only 'regular' who's been on the forum this past week or so- have all you other guys hibernated or been too overwhelmed by the festivities??!!
Cheery,
Martin
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Dec 29, 2001, 13:19
Superb!! Beautiful photies Mr Gibbon.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Dec 31, 2001, 17:23
ta - we've just been up Wain Hill, but I forgot the camera - we found loads of little barrows, trekked up this massive groove of the ridgeway, allsorts

Happy New Year everyone!

RG
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Jan 01, 2002, 16:52
yes, and a most tasty and juicy happy new year to you and all the Martinnettes ...

mind you, I'm only online because Santa tossed a new PC down the old chimney - you click on something, and it happens straight away ... soon see about that - Windows XP ahoy!

the laminator went down a treat --- get one for the one you love

tooldleoo everyone

RG
ps the Chilterns still rock
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index