"Two big ones stand face to face..."

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

"Two big ones stand face to face..."
Mar 22, 2006, 21:58
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_dolmen

Dont know a lot about Wikipedia but I think someone more enlightened could re-write this slightly hammed up write up... 'in the case of portal dolmens built on a slope, the entrance always faces uphill' hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Re: "Two big ones stand face to face...&...
Mar 22, 2006, 23:19
love your work! ;)

Cheers
Andy
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Facing up hill
Mar 22, 2006, 23:39
Funnily enough it is actually true in the majority of cases. Many are built to face into slopes too -

Howth, Gaulstown, Ahaglaslin kinda faces more into the hill than away from it, Arderawinny faces a cliff face that is just 10m from it, Kilgraney, Altdrumman is built just 5 from a rock outcrop, Ballyquin faces the slope in front of it, Brennanstown faces up the valley which is actually west rather than the usual east, Taylorsgrange faces towards the hill next to it (again west instead of east), Garran, Ardabrone, The Labby Rock, Larch Hill, Onagh, Gortnavern, Ballyknock ....

How many more do you want?

Kiltiernan, Mayo in Cavan, Legananny and Browne's Hill are a few of the exceptions.
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Re: Facing up hill
Mar 23, 2006, 23:41
Hmmm in the limited range of my experience, I seem to have visited most of the exceptions and very few of the 'rule'! Dont know if I should concede the ones facing outcrops though, maybe if they can be interepreted as macro-hills :)

Ahaglaslin... Dont know if I can concede that one either, its not facing either up or down the hill!
Brennanstown/Labby Rock... follow the line of the valley with hills on either side so are niether uphill or downhill when they easily could have been.

Been to Kiltiernan, Legananny, Browne's Hill which face downhill.

This simply demonstrates that I need to see more portals as soon as possible :)

Just goes to show though, relying on photos can be deceptive. I had seen lots of photos of Dun Ruadh and yet I fully expected it to be on flat ground, looking at the same photos now it seems so clear that its on a slope. Odd.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Facing up hill
Mar 24, 2006, 07:41
If something is facing up a valley then technically it is facing 'up' even if it is on level ground. Labby Rock definitely faces up a slope. Brennanstown is more difficult to see because the slope is 100m away in the trees, but it's interesting to note that it faces west up the valley, not east as per (more) usual.

I didn't really take much notice of it for a long time, but it suddenly dawned on me at Ballyquin (I think).
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index