Wow!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Wow!
Mar 19, 2006, 19:50
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/44792

That's great. I think I'll have to get back down there at some point now.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Wow!
Mar 19, 2006, 19:57
I've got mixed feelings about it.

It's good to be able to see the stones properly now, but the improved access means its no longer such a 'pilgrimage' to actually get to the site from the main road. And the retention of the gorse by the retaining wall means that any potential alignments still can't be seen, so from that aspect its all a bit fruitless...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 19, 2006, 20:05
All very good points, which I'm will strike me when I do next get down there. It has always been a pleasure getting to it. P'raps some things shouldn't be so easy after all.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 20, 2006, 08:32
I quite liked it all gorsey how it was, too. And picking your way through the mud wondering if you were ever going to get there, down that little path. Oh well. I'm sure it'll grow over again soon enough and look a bit less stark.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 20, 2006, 08:35
My obvious preference would be for it to be completely open and not even hemmed in by walls, but that ain't going to happen is it?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 20, 2006, 09:03
and where would the atmosphere go then eh?! I don't remember there being much of a view even if the bushes hadn't been there? Haven't places like that always had gorse bushes?

It was cold enough when I was there last - you need a gorse bush to hide under.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index