The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
County Kildare »
Yet another round tower in Kildare...maybe

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StewardsofGondor
90 posts

Yet another round tower in Kildare...maybe
Mar 16, 2006, 20:57
was looking through Lewis' topography last weekend (the exciting life i have!) on the town i'm from and apprently there was a 75ft round tower in Newbridge. Lewis said is was gone by the time he was there but it was within "living memory" of the local people. it got demolished along with the local abbey that founded was in the early 1200's and Raspberry Castle to built the British barracks in the town. i've never heard of any round tower, in Newbridge before and i'm fairly okay on the auld local history. anyone got any info??
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Yet another round tower in Kildare...maybe
Mar 16, 2006, 21:32
"The Irish Round Tower - Origins and Architecture Explored" by Brian Lalor (1999) lists 24 missing round towers and none of them are in Kildare. This is a very comprehensive book, listing many possibles as well as the knowns.

I can find no mention of a tower at Newbridge in Petrie's "The Round Towers and Ancient Architecture of Ireland" (1859)
wideford
1086 posts

Mar 17, 2006, 09:43
Are there any round churches recorded for Ireland, because if there are and they aren't under the heading of round tower (I presume this designation is not restricted to freestanding ones ?) that is a possible explanation
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 17, 2006, 10:12
The vast majority of round towers are free standing. A few were built as the tower to a church and some churches were built against older towers.
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Mar 20, 2006, 08:57
Interesting steward, im working in newbridge at the moment, can you send me on your email address, with the nights getting longer im mad to get out and about around kildare to see a few sites and would appreciate some local knowledge.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index