Stonehenge »
New Stonehenge road plans

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: New Stonehenge road plans
Feb 03, 2006, 17:14
I don't know whether a Long Tunnel or a Road Around is best but at this stage any debate about them simply helps the Short tunnel movement by weakening the opposition, which is why I feel "No Short Tunnel" is the strongest call that everyone should make.

Competing interests from the wild lifelobby is something else the bad guys profit from. The RSPB is rather taken with the idea of a lake for migratory birds at Thornborough, as Tarmac never tire of saying (bird flu notwithstanding!) Every time a quarry company digs a hole they give the impression that their main aim is to provide a wildlife habitat.

If it came to a choice though, the Stonehenge archaeological landscape is more important than the wildlife I'd have thought. RSPB and the nature Conservation Trust are pretty clever at creating new environments and reintroducing species. As a lifelong birdwatcher and fanatical lepidopterist I'd cheerfully throttle the Stone Curlews and squash all the grizzled Skippers if in so doing Stonehenge wasn't further messed up.

Harsh but fair.
;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index