Which type of camera do we use?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ishmael
683 posts

Re: Which type of camera do we use?
Dec 02, 2005, 00:08
well yes batteries are the main prob.
I always carried a manual, doesn't need a battery if you have a light meter, camera alongside my all singing and dancing kit.
Saved the day more than once.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Dec 02, 2005, 00:14
They'll* probably be flogging ones powered by ethanol cells in a few years. Apparently fuel-cell mp3 players are out next year. With a alcho-cam all you'd need would be a bottle of vodka in your bag ;)

*You now, 'Them'. The people who make gadgets and stuff, not *Them*, who are a different lot entirely, and not the kind of people you'd ever buy a camera from.
wolfnighthunter
wolfnighthunter
588 posts

Dec 02, 2005, 00:30
takes me back to my old ebay days, ah...used to sell anything in those days, even a few old cameras.
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Dec 02, 2005, 06:56
My first SLR was a Zenit.. Heavy as a tank and built like one, but it served me well
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Don't mind talking cameras!
Dec 02, 2005, 07:29
Only on the cheaper or low range old ones - like the Rebel and the D60. The more expensive ones are superb. However, all is not lost. You can buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Speedlite-Transmitter-ST-E2-STE2-fr-420EX-580EX_W0QQitemZ7567549745QQcategoryZ29982QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

which will not only allow you to trigger Canon speedlites remotely, but will also focus in almost total darkness. You can use it purely as an auto-focus aid and even in dawn/dusk situation it will make you camera focus a lot more quickly. Not sure of compatibility with D350/Rebel though, so please check before buying! Alternatively the Canon speedlites have infrared focusing aids built into them that will do the focus-in-near-total-darkness thing, but the remote is a lot cheaper if all you want is the focusing part.

If working in low light it's also worth considering one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-BG-E3-BGE3-Battery-Grip-for-EOS-350D-Rebel-XT_W0QQitemZ7568161630QQcategoryZ15202QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and pair of 1800mAh batteries to give you some hope of getting through all that auto-focus battery drain. It also gives you a second shutter button that's in the right place for portrait photography! I have one of these on my EOS 1N and it's well handy! I will be getting one for the D60 for Xmas :-)

Don't buy Canon batteries because they're expensive and lower mAh rated. I bought 2 1800mAh batteries off ebay for just over half the cost of a Canon 1100mAh battery fom ebay.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Don't mind talking cameras!
Dec 02, 2005, 07:33
Anyone looking to buy a very good 35mm body should really hunt out the EOS 1V, which is like the 1N, but with weather proof seals on all the opening bits! Perfect for us fieldjockeys.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 02, 2005, 07:52
I've just bought a camera recently - Sony 7.2 mega pixels, Dsc 200 to replace my previous camera which was also a Sony(the one with migrating condensation) We also have one of those large Canon type cameras in the house, but it is both large and heavy for my wrists, and carting for miles over rough ground.. So there is the camera expert type of camera and the simpler recording type which I require, which takes dozens of pictures of stones to be transferred to the computer and studied at leisure. Just thought I'd put that in for those who have felt great waves of despair when confronted by complicated cameras! go simple, go light, go small, go digital.....
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Dec 02, 2005, 08:02
That's a good way of disclosing the surface of the surface of a stone but just highlights the plight of the individual rock - almost toppled over. Have you had any contact with the county archaeology unit over it ? The colour of the sky has shifted, in the digital pic. The glow from city light is orange and has shifted to red, perhaps because of the long exposure time. 'Therefore' this image should be placed in the genre 'Magic Realism'.
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Dec 02, 2005, 10:03
I read they now have batteries that last a lot longer.....is it the battery or the camera not using so much power? Will they be making all batteries like it....i dont suppose so

Anyone bought a cheap one off ebay that is shipped in from the east...are they any good?

And I would not buy a 1GB microdisc again....had nothing but problems with it. Hadrly ever opens first time, requiring a shuffle through settings before it can be used. Just bought a Compact Flash 1gb card...I hope it performs better....

Mr H
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Dec 02, 2005, 10:39
Aye - very cold weather aside, the battery on our D70 lasts for ages.

I can't be more accurate, but to give an idea, when we were on our munnyhoon in Africa I wandered around all day from about 5 or 6 in the morning with the camera on* in case of sudden wildlife until about 10 or 11 in the evening. So that's about 18 hours no probs - it lasted easily.

(* Actually using it a lot too, of course!)

Dunno how much longer it would've lasted coz we always recharged it at nite to be on the safe side. recharge only takes 2-3 hours (tops) I think.

love

Moth
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index