Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
A Massachusetts hill fort?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
andygreyweather
94 posts

A Massachusetts hill fort?
Nov 19, 2005, 03:10
Not far from the Massachusetts towns of Ipswich and Essex sits Castle Hill ... topped by a splendid country house and surrounded by lush woodlands ... but ... it has ramparts like a hill fort, looks like a hill fort and bares traces of very old stone walling ... and its the USA ... gadzooks!

PS: My rental car header unit has a Beck CD wedged in it that only plays Devil's Haircut ... why is this?
daveyravey
daveyravey
357 posts

Re: A Massachusetts hill fort?
Nov 20, 2005, 18:45
....I've got the devil's haircut in my mind..........
andygreyweather
94 posts

Nov 22, 2005, 01:39
is it a number 3 back and sides sir with a scissor cut on top ... something for the weekend? Oooh ...

George W's secret hide-away address: Walkers Point, Kennebunkport, Maine, USA

You'll recognise it by the secret flags flying and the secret machine gun clusters ... I was told that the secret cervix patrol the area ... is there a Goddess connection here?

I asked but they didn't seem amused ... great waffles though ...

The whole area is littered with amazing sites of stoney merit ...
Ishmael
683 posts

Nov 22, 2005, 01:43
Isn't Mystery hill near there?
andygreyweather
94 posts

Nov 22, 2005, 01:55
Yeah ... I went there ... I swear I heard Toya singing in the back woods ...
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Nov 22, 2005, 09:40
I'd have thought the basic idea of a hillfort is so simple that it wouldn't be surprising if similar structures were devised in separate parts of the world.

However, hillfort architecture is a complex beast. If this U.S. hillfort were to share the same layout as forts in the British Isles...

...well, that would be interesting. Don't suppose you have a plan of it do you?

K x
andygreyweather
94 posts

Nov 23, 2005, 00:10
hmmm ... I'll see what I can do and post up ... and if you're looking for www. info about New England's neolithica do watch out for the f**k brained neo nazi krapernet sites that have so defiled these wonderfully Scooby Doo like places ...

Spirit Hill is like caged freak show ... if the owners understood the site, they'd uncage the place ... it looks like a Florida prison with a Yogi Bear picnic hut on top ...
andygreyweather
94 posts

Nov 26, 2005, 11:34
http://www.skypic.com/ma/6-5310.jpg

at the above site you may view Castle Hill ... clearly it has a great location that would've ticked the right boxes for early settlers around the 17thC ... yet in essence, there are hundreds of sites in New England that scream with the same energy of construction as European, African and Middle-Eastern sites circa 4000 BP+ indeed Spirit Hill, although fiddled around with does remind one of the Temple of the Moon in Bahrain.

Of course Gut-feeling Archaeology is riddled with failings ... and my gut is bigger than most ... that said, there seems a political correctness attitude towards pre-Columbian archaeology that defies logic. Good ol' boys he-ha'ing about Paul Revere is all well and good in the right context, but hopefully the new interest in these places will fruit some facts.

Statistics of ethnic origin are hugely flawed unless the whole population is screened and the entire back catalogue of human remains gets zapped too ...
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Mystery hill
Nov 27, 2005, 11:52
Impressions of the site?
1700s food stores or bronze age temple complex?
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index