FourWinds
10943 posts

Yggdrasil in Erin .... surely not??
Oct 22, 2001, 09:51
I just came across this on a web site

**Calliagh: Wedge-tomb
H 634 277
Sheet 28

About 8 km SSW of Monaghan town, on top of a drumlin (hillock) about 250 metres NE of a transmitter, beside an old laneway leading N from a by-road from which the tomb is visiblke, this tomb is ruined but interesting. It is built of large stones, and has a gallery 7.5 metres long, with remains of double walling on the S side. Roofstones have been displaced. To the S of the entrance, and within the area of the cairn (some of which survives), is a large and tall stone of unexplained significance. **

A large tall stone standing out of the cairn !!??

hhhmmmm...... This is quite a journey from me, but I feel compelled to check it out.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Yggdrasil in Erin .... surely not??
Oct 26, 2001, 17:06
I have had a book ( 'Mythic Ireland' by Michael Dames) sitting on my desk for some weeks now, and only just have I *looked* at the cover. It is a picture of The Great Yew in Crom Castle, but what makes it unusual is that the picture is upside down, it's gnarled mass of branches looking like exposed roots and the mound around it's base looking like the tree top.

There iseems to be no mention of why this imagery was used, but it is a really powerful one.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 28, 2001, 20:37
I have just seen this posted by 'phil' on TMA

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=589

a standing stone with ascociated cairn ... hmmm makes you think.

But am I seeing too mant of these refernces now?
kingrolo
kingrolo
37 posts

Oct 31, 2001, 10:24
Oh righty ho - so others are getting this information through as well then - all that stuff about why trees stand on their heads when winter comes. So when you're standing by one you're actually hanging with your head in the underworld actualised in the outside. What with it being all hallows eve....
"Samhain is the Witches' New Year. It is said to be the time when the veil between the worlds is very thin, when souls are leaving this physical plane and souls are coming back (reincarnating). Samhain is when darkness increases. The Goddess reigns as the Crone and the God, Dark Lord (Woden), passes into the underworld to become the seed of his own rebirth. Divination is heightened on this night. "
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index