"It's a manly hobby..."

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

"It's a manly hobby..."
Oct 11, 2005, 11:48
It's not really a news thing, but I thought some of you might derive some measure of enjoyment from this article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05279/583786.stm

Good on 'em I say. Even if "some of today's wild, modernistic designs make a mockery of an ancient skill." I'm quite intrigued by the idea of 'wild modernistic' flints.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: "It's a manly hobby..."
Oct 11, 2005, 12:54
'Mr Spears'

*woohoo!*
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Oct 11, 2005, 13:01
And what with 'caught knapping' it's starting to sound like an episode of 'Flog It'.

Despite it being a manly hobby I'd quite like a go really.
smallblueplanet
472 posts

Oct 12, 2005, 13:40
Here's the manly man for you!

His courses are very good.

http://www.flintknapping.co.uk/index.html
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 12, 2005, 13:58
"It's a manly hobby, because of its association with hunting and weapons"

Eh? Wha? Where does the world get the idea from the only men hunted and were good with weapons?!?!?!?
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Oct 12, 2005, 14:16
I guess there's a tendency for men to take on the hunting rĂ´le in 'primitive' cultures.

One reason for this might be that the prospect of hunting with a baby attached to your boob is a bit daunting.

K x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 12, 2005, 14:35
No, not hunting. I'm talking about flint knapping. Women were far too busy for wasteful energy expensive activities like hunting. Women would surely have done flint knapping along with the weaving, pottery, rope making, firewood collecting, fishing, fishgutting, thatching, animal husbandry, nut and fruitgathering; making and setting traps, housebuilding, , planting, reaping, tilling, food preservation, sewing, tool making, nursing, teaching, etc, etc ..oh and childbearing.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 12, 2005, 14:48
Women would have done all that AND the hunting. Those cavemen knew how to run a patriarchal society properly!
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Oct 12, 2005, 14:53
women can't knap cos it plays havoc with their nails
:-0
The Eternal
924 posts

Oct 13, 2005, 22:03
That website is interesting for the price-list of the various modern flint objects. It's the first time I've seen a modern value placed on those sort of objects, as new, presumably translated from man-hours into pounds sterling, with the raw material costs negligible, apart from digging them out.

Very interesting, that,
Cheers,
TE.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index