The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Black Horse of Bush Howe

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zygmunt
2 posts

Black Horse of Bush Howe
Oct 07, 2001, 23:16
Just bought a book called Lost Gods Of Albion, by Paul Newman. It's all about hill figures.

Right at the end (page 209) he mentions The Black Horse of Bush Howe on the Howgill Fells near Sedbergh in the North Pennines. It's meant to be 427ft long and 361ft high and made up of black shale. Newman quotes Guy Ragland Phillips who researched it and says it looks like the representation of horses seen in ancient French and Spanish cave paintings.

Can't find ANYTHING about it on the net, and this is he first i've heard about it. Apparently the figure appears on no OS maps.

Any Ideas??
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Re: Black Horse of Bush Howe
Oct 08, 2001, 09:41
Dunno about the Black Horse, but I do know it's rather a good book - check out the acknowledgements at the beginning to see if any familiar names are mentioned ...

RG
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Oct 08, 2001, 23:59
You got an isbn on this book mateys, I'm intrigued.
Fitz
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Oct 09, 2001, 00:13
If hill figures are your bag, can I recommend "Gogmagog, The Buried Gods" by T.C. Lethbridge
fitz
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Oct 09, 2001, 09:32
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/075091792X/o/qid=/sr=8-1/ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/202-3166331-3453462

ISBN: 075091792X

it's very good, one of the few sources of info on my beloved Chiltern Crosses

you should also look at:
http://www2.prestel.co.uk/hows/personal/hillfigs/

though I'm sure you already have ...

RG
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Oct 09, 2001, 14:32
Cheers RG
I've never really got into hill figures, I bought TC Lethbridges book from a junk shop a couple of years ago, its a good read and helps place british deities in a global frame.
I'll definitely have a bash at your recommendation though. The only hill figure we've got up here is the White horse at sutton bank, which i believe is only a couple of hundred years old...just a wee bairn.
Fitz
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Oct 09, 2001, 14:42
while we're mentioning hill figures ....

At Uisnech (the center of Old Ireland where the Mide Stone stands) there are two souterrains, called The Mare & The Stallion. These are curved in design with a few well placed cahmbers. The outline of The Mare is very close to the shape of the body of the White Horse of Uffington and that of The Stallion makes the head .... so some people say.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Hillfigures ...
Oct 09, 2001, 15:38
... rock

One of the conclusions from the Newman book is that there might have been *loads* of them on hills, most of them now grassed over, all over the shop

which is quite a thought ....
Dave90
2 posts

Apr 12, 2003, 10:25
After reading about this as a teenager in the book 'Brigantia' by Guy Ragland Phillips, I finally got round to attempting to find it!

Don't look much like a horse though!

You can see my pics at www.davidraven.net under 'lost hill figure'.
broen
broen
204 posts

Apr 12, 2003, 16:29
seems as though evolution has put this horse beyond my minds eye.

Nice story though - and a nice view - I love the country - makes me wanna go there

-broen-
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index