Wales »
Y Gromlech Yn Yr Haidd

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ShropshireTraveller
ShropshireTraveller
132 posts

Y Gromlech Yn Yr Haidd
Jul 14, 2005, 17:01
In a recent talk with a landowner in North Wales, who told me of a decent cairn to visit (Frith y Ddwyffrwd),
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=12098
I was also told of a story by Islwyn Ffowc Elis - Y Gromlech Yn Yr Haidd (The Cromlech in the Barley Field), which is a tale of a farmer who interferes with a cromlech, and ill fortune befalls him and his family.

Sounds like something from Tales of the Unexpected.

Anyone know if this has been translated into English? I've dug around a bit, but no luck yet.

Thanks

Tim
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Y Gromlech Yn Yr Haidd
Jul 14, 2005, 22:22
There is lots of folk lore about farmers removing stones. having bad luck and having to put them back.

The story of the lightning storm while Long Meg at al were being destroyed is a prime example of such tales.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 14, 2005, 22:23
Meant to add that the Curse of King Tut wasn't the first instance of such bad luck for plunderers and defilers
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Jul 15, 2005, 10:25
I don't think 'Y Gromlech Yn Yr Haidd' is available in English. It's published by Gomer Press, so you could drop them a line and find out.

K x
ShropshireTraveller
ShropshireTraveller
132 posts

Jul 17, 2005, 19:55
Thanks, Kammer, Fourwinds. I'll chase it up and let you know how I get on.

With all the rich folklore about nasty things happening to those who interfere with the stones, a fictional reconstruction would be most interesting.

Cheers

Tim
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index