Circles under churches

272 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Circles under churches
Aug 17, 2005, 23:09
Think it was PeterH who provided a link to the sarsens under the church foundations at Cliff Pypard (sorry but seem to have mislaid that link). Just to confirm that there are indeed two sarsens at the front of the church and to the right of the porch. It was absolutely tipping it down when I was there last Saturday and, as the back of the church is also partly fenced off, I didn't get round to verifying whether or not there are more sarsens at the back as well. Also, I've never actually walked all the way round the outside of St James' Church at Avebury so, on the off chance that there might be sarsens there, I checked that out as well. Bingo! there's one stone in the foundations at the back of the church.

The pattern of placing sarsens in the foundations of the churches at Avebury, Cliff Pypard, Pewsey and perhaps other churches in the area, is just too similar to be coincidence - just wonder if there isn't documentary info tucked away in some church record somewhere for the reasons <i>why</i> it was done.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index