Wiltshire metal detecting meet

23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Wiltshire metal detecting meet
Apr 28, 2005, 20:13
"There was a Finds Liason Officer on hand..."

That's good, and entirely a result of my long and hard nagging at them, as she hadn't been invited till I raised concerns. Had I not, then the effect doesn't bear thinking about perhaps.

HA's sole concern with the Rally - as expressed to the detectorists in advance and in our article - was the venue. We thought it was inappropriate and damaging - both to the archaeological record AND to the PAS AND to the hobby itself - which we'd like to see become of net benefit to the community.

Many thoughtful recording detectorists agree it was a bad choice of location - and have said so both publicly and privately both before and after our article.

"everything was recorded"
Hope so. But how will we ever know? Only 1750 detectorists record. Were all those 480 people from that group, or could some have been non-recorders? Too late to worry now, isn't it?

However, the good news is that as a result of our article detectorists are now very loudly demanding that ALL future venues are vetted and that FLOs attend all approved rallies! So it seems, at this early stage, as if we might have done quite a bit of good for our common archaeological record. This can only be described as a hell of a good result I suppose.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index