The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wychbury Hill »
Wychbury and Arthur.

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Forrester
77 posts

Wychbury and Arthur.
Apr 18, 2005, 10:33
Re: the latest addition to my weblog, does anyone have any evidence for the idea of Wychbury being one of the 12 battles cited by Nennius as involving Arthur as "Dux Bellorum"??
Anyone know any Arthur stories or legends about the place??
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Wychbury and Arthur.
Apr 18, 2005, 11:40
I know of no real Arthurian association other than that proposed by a local "historian" by the name of Granville Calder (I think). He operates with little real proof as far as I undersand and thinks that warriors are buried under ancient yews.

There is no shred of evidence, but there again there isn't at any other Arthurian site either. Perhaps if Malory had come from Lye or somewhere local we would see a whole industry grow up.

hahahahahah

Imagine

"Arthur's Balti House"
"The Grail take-away"
"Gawain's Kebab house"

It would be lovely to have some Arthurian connection though.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 18, 2005, 11:51
Mmmm Lye!
Forrester
77 posts

Apr 18, 2005, 11:58
The Warriors under the Yews idea is one i heard as a boy. The mount Badon article by Calder although misguided, may not be totally daft (see my weblog). I'm not really too bothered about the Arthur thing, but I always think he may be a folk umbrella for real events in localities at about the same time. A lady in Hagley wrote a pamphlet about Arthurian connections to wychbury some years ago, and i know they were current at some time because there were references to arthur being buried there when i heard tales as a boy.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index