Megalithic Poems

Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 163 64 65 66 67 68 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Edward Thomas: Thaw
Feb 02, 2008, 20:18
What we below could not see, Winter pass.

Thank you Nigel. Good and appropriate words for Imbolc - and best wishes to one and all for that.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Edward Thomas: Thaw
Feb 03, 2008, 11:07
Not strictly megalithic either.. but Thomas wrote of Avebury thus,
"the northern downs are totally different, here the land is scooped out into long swells with shallow sliding troughs and folds between them. The queer thing is that Avebury is still the capital of of North Wiltshire as Stonehenge is of the south. The villages mostly hide; visible modern works make ugly faces and only this pair, the rest of man's thoughts on the surface of the chalk, rest seaworthily upon the surge of verdant miles"

Massingham dedicated one of his books to 'The Avebury Party', so megameet parties are not new. Both books written before the 2nd ww...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Massingham: The Avebury Party
Feb 04, 2008, 20:32
Massingham dedicated one of his books to 'The Avebury Party', so megameet parties are not new.

I think we should have a bust of Massingham made, then dusted and decorated with a crown of laurels at each Megameet :-)

Also seem to remember that William Morris and his mate(s) used to escape from Marlborough College to the 'lions' every now and then - the lions being the Red Lion?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Massingham: The Avebury Party
Feb 04, 2008, 20:34
Massingham dedicated one of his books to 'The Avebury Party', so megameet parties are not new.

I think we should have a bust of Massingham made, then dusted and decorated with a crown of laurels at each Megameet :-)

Also seem to remember that William Morris and his mate(s) used to escape from Marlborough College to the 'lions' every now and then - the lions being the Red Lion?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Wm Morris and visiting Abury
Feb 04, 2008, 21:34
Forgotten about that.... writing to his sister Emma, he was 15 at the time..

"After we done looking at the lions of Abury which took us about half an hour we went through a mud lane down one or two fields and last but not least through what they call here a water meadow up to our knees in water........... in the first place you must fancy a field cut through with an infinity of small streams say about four feet wide each the people to whom the meadow belongs can turn these streams on and off when they like......the grass being very long you cannot see the water till you are in the water and floundering in it... after we had scrambled through the meadow we ascended Silbury Hill it is not very high but yet I should think it must have taken an immense long time to have got it together I brought away a little white snail shell as a memento of the place"...

So many snails around the river and Silbury wonder how many people have brought them back as mementos?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Robert Louis Stevenson: Songs of Travel
Feb 16, 2008, 15:43
fitzcoraldo first posted the second verse of this last year at http://letmespeaktothedriver.com/site/437#images (hope you don't mind me posting it again here fitz).

Song XLIII To S R Crockett (on Receiving a Dedication)

BLOWS the wind to-day, and the sun and the rain are flying,
Blows the wind on the moors to-day and now,
Where about the graves of the martyrs the whaups are crying,
My heart remembers how!

Grey recumbent tombs of the dead in desert places.
Standing stones on the vacant wine-red moor,
Hills of sheep, and the homes of silent, vanquished races,
And winds austere and pure:

Be it granted to me to behold you again in dying,
Hills of home! And to hear again the call;
Hear about the graves of the martyrs the peewees crying,
And hear no more at all.

Vailima.

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)

NB Whaup is a word used in parts of Scotland for the curlew.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: gjrk: Lettergorman South
Feb 17, 2008, 23:58
G. Persephone Vandegrift has asked me to pass on the following to you -

Gjrk - this is an incredibly moving poem - it made me thirsty spiritually and all senses caught on fire. Well done to you! And thanks for sharing it :-)
gjrk
370 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 00:22
"................." (speechless!)
Seph
7 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 00:48
You are welcome G - great work.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

William Rowley: A dark enigma to the memory
Mar 01, 2008, 09:11
Merlin, in William Rowley's The Birth of Merlin suggests to his mother that she should 'retire to a solitude' that he has made ready for her, "...to weep away the flesh you have offended with..."

...and when you die, I will erect a monument,
Upon the verdant plains of Salisbury,
No king shall have so high a sepulchre,
With pendulous stones, that I will hang by art,
Where neither lime nor mortar shall be used,
A dark enigma to the memory,
For none shall have the power to number them;
A place that I will hallow for your rest;
Where no night-hag shall walk, nor were-wolf tread,
Where Merlin's mother shall be sepulchred.

William Rowley (1690–1768)
Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 163 64 65 66 67 68 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index