Megalithic Poems

Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 134 35 36 37 38 39 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: The Future
Oct 09, 2006, 17:32
This little page of English squiggles is also the most complete collection of poetry about our stones that has ever been made.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

A plea
Oct 09, 2006, 17:33
Can we try something a bit different this time? Please keep the thread on-topic. Please don't be goaded into replying to unpleasantness. Please just keep posting about poems on a megalithic theme.

Thanks.
whatisthat
255 posts

Oct 09, 2006, 19:43
TMA Ed wrote:

Made some interesting contributions to many threads

:-)

TMA Ed wrote:

Moaned

:-(

Such is life and human frailty. Surely TMA Ed who sits near to God can understand and forgive?

And when the f*ck are you lazy bloody TMA editors going to put Denbighshire in its rightful place in North Wales or sort out the whole TMA Wales mess?

[Whoops. Think I've blown it. Hit the delete Ed.]
TMA Ed
615 posts

Oct 09, 2006, 19:58
whatisthat wrote:
And when the f*ck are you lazy bloody TMA editors going to put Denbighshire in its rightful place in North Wales or sort out the whole TMA Wales mess?

A lot of work has already gone into Wales. There is a problem with rejigging the original TMA sites that only the one known as Holy McGrail can deal with and he's rather busy right now.

Work is under way elsewhere and Wales will be returned to as soon as possible.

We will also be detaching some of the recent sub-threads from certain threads that detract from the main focus of said threads.

Thanks

TMA Ed
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: A plea
Oct 09, 2006, 20:24
When a poem is about a specific site...could it not be posted on that site, as misc for instance..I have done this recently with a few bits I have extracted from books...Rhiannon does the same..

It could always be flagged up on here...but whathisface would not have to read them.

Mr H
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Richard Jefferies: Story of My Heart
Oct 09, 2006, 20:59
...guess I do have a notebook full of'em...

Crikey chris, I'm having a job keeping up with you here - but in the nicest possible way so don't stop. How thick, actually, is that notebook of yours :-)

I'd be really surprised if the Swindon born Victorian agrarian writer Richard Jeffries hadn't penned something about Wayland Smithy &c. Almost everything by him is out of print....anyone Wiltshire based fancy a lil' research?

Ah, now yer talkin' - Richard Jefferies has set me down on a few paths. His The Old House at Coate I think may still in print - I picked up a copy at the museum in Devizes a couple of years ago (ISBN 0 9506563 8 0). Heard recently that one of his books (don't know which one I'm afraid) has recently been translated into Chinese. There's a lovely bit of prose by him @ http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_megalithicpoems_archive.html You probably already know it but if not you're in for a treat :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Oct 09, 2006, 21:01
Yup, good idea Mr H.
whatisthat
255 posts

Oct 09, 2006, 21:02
TMA Ed wrote:
whatisthat wrote:

A lot of work has already gone into Wales. There is a problem with rejigging the original TMA sites that only the one known as Holy McGrail can deal with and he's rather busy right now.

Work is under way elsewhere and Wales will be returned to as soon as possible.

Lighten up Ed, it was a joke. The TMA version of the geography of Wales is not important. On the plus side it provides (be)amusement for users.

TMA Ed wrote:

We will also be detaching some of the recent sub-threads from certain threads that detract from the main focus of said threads.

Er... thanks for that. Detaching? Is that what they call it now? Careful though, you might end up deleting most of the TMA forum.

Anyway, keep up the good work TMA Ed. Hope your attempt to turn a forum topic into a website works out.

[BTW, please disguise your posting style otherwise we might be able to tell who you are which would spoil things. I have already detected that you are an 'old lag' :-).]
whatisthat
255 posts

Oct 09, 2006, 21:50
Mr Hamhead wrote:
... whathisface ...

Hi Mark. Pleased to meet you. Hey, I think you missed an 's' somewhere though.

BTW my name is Victor and my nic is whatisthat for future ref.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Richard Jefferies: Story of My Heart
Oct 10, 2006, 05:48
I know its not a competition but let's be honest no-one is ever going to write megalithically better than that. And he's from Wilts. Can that be chance? Did it soak into him? (And its only a boring grassy mound - most poets pick on something with big mossy rocks and don't do half as well).
Anyhow, its good enough to paste back here -

Story of My Heart
Two thousand times! Two thousand times the woods grew green, and ring-doves built their nests. Day and night for two thousand years--light and shadow sweeping over the mound--two thousand years of labour by day and slumber by night. Mystery gleaming in the stars, pouring down in the sunshine, speaking in the night, the wonder of the sun and of far space, for twenty centuries round about this low and green-grown dome. Yet all that mystery and wonder is as nothing to the Thought that lies therein, to the spirit that I feel so close.

Realising that spirit, recognising my own inner consciousness, the psyche, so clearly, I cannot understand time. It is eternity now. I am in the midst of it. It is about me in the sunshine; I am in it, as the butterfly floats in the light-laden air. Nothing has to come; it is now. Now is eternity; now is the immortal life. Here this moment, by this tumulus, on earth, now; I exist in it. The years, the centuries, the cycles are absolutely nothing; it is only a moment since this tumulus was raised; in a thousand years it will still be only a moment. To the soul there is no past and no future; all is and will be ever, in now...

Richard Jefferies (1848-1887)
Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 134 35 36 37 38 39 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index