'Marriage' ceremonies in stone circles

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
elderford
482 posts

'Marriage' ceremonies in stone circles
Jan 12, 2005, 12:12
Any thoughts?

I'm sure someone mentioned a while back something like a 'handing'? ceremony.

I'm planning to get married in October and up the road is a lonely circle and we would very much like to get the legal bit out of the way and then have a ceremony of some sort in the open air within the circle.

the site has two stone circles and an outlier as well as a standing stone less than 2km away, and so the possiblities of processional ways and beginning the ceremony in different circles but within view of each other and then ending it with us in the same one, etc.

So if any of you know suitable passages of text or poems, etc or even ceremonies, services ,we might be able to use, or even suggestions, we would be very grateful.
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Re: 'Marriage' ceremonies in stone circles
Jan 12, 2005, 12:27
This might get you started...

http://www.webwedding.co.uk/articles/ceremonies/alternatives/handfasting.htm

Good luck
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 12:47
There's a thread here
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?message=119035&thread=12185
and also here
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=13090
which you might find useful?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 13:32
>> we would very much like to get the legal bit out of the way and then have a ceremony of
>> some sort in the open air within the circle.

If you can find a registrar/priest willing to do the service at the circle then I think you can do the legal bit there anyway. I'm not 100% sure, but the place has to have public access (so that anyone can attend and 'say so now' if they know of any lawful impediment etc why you can't get married).

Best thing to do is to phone up the local registry office and see what they say.
sals
sals
143 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 13:39
I got married at Castlerigg a couple of years ago - still got a load of sample ceremonies somewhere on my 'puter - drop me an email and I'll send them to you!
Sals
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 15:21
There's a chapter on handfastings and other Druid rites of passage in Philip Carr-Gomm's book 'The Druid Renaissance' (ISBN 1 85538 480 9) by Dr Graham Harvey that might be of interest.
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 15:45
A useful tip Littlestone. I tried "The Druid Renaissance" in Amazon and had a look at an associated list of books. I found:

Handfasting and Wedding Ritual: Inviting Hera's Blessing
by Raven Kaldera, Tannin Schwartzstein

On the same Amazon page there's an excerpt from the book which seems to indicate a broad approach to the subject. Possibly worth a browse.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 16:28
If you want to e.mail me your home address I can send you some stuff in the post. mycatmoo at hotmail . com

We had permission from the National Trust to do it on top of Glastonbury Tor! Never happened (Don't ask) so would be willing to forward anything and everything I have that could help you... the National Trust were really really helpfull. I won't be needing it again! ;o)

Also found a brilliant Handfasting Group of people that put you in touch with people who can do the service in your area. Completely forgotten what they were called but have all the bits at home.

If you want to e.mail me then please do! Goffik, Moth & Jane can vouch for me being an alright person and not the kind to sign you up to junk mail or send you unrelated stuff in the post!! :o)

Nat
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 17:18
You can't get legally married at a stone circle in England, Wales or Scotland.

The ceremony has to take place in a building which has been registered for weddings.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jan 12, 2005, 17:25
I vouch for Nat's niceness. You might even get the odd picture of a cat licking the inside of your monitor! If you're lucky... ;o)

I liked it, anyway... :o)

G x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index