Sleeping Beauty

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: and suchlike
Jan 05, 2005, 22:44
'Suchlike' obviously include the internet for example. We want power to do what we're doing now. As we don't necessarily need to be doing what we're doing now we don't really need the electricity to do so. Instead we want to do what we're doing now so we simply want the electricity to do so ... and loads more besides.

I'm off to read a book in bed now, which is something I want to do, not need to do, so I will be wanting loads* of electricity to it.

*but I have got an energy saving** bulb in the bedside light.

** The only energy saving bulb is a broken one!
follow that cow
follow that cow
277 posts

Re: Sleeping Beauty
Jan 05, 2005, 22:49
As Littlestone said ....... 'you can usually get by without the first but not very well without the last.'
The first being heated toilet seats and the last a power supply that doesnt phuk us all up.
I think we're all singing of the same song sheet here guys!!!

and is it...

you can't always get what you want..... etc'..... The Stones?

I take my bow.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 05, 2005, 23:03
Can you run that passed me again please :-).

Seriously, I know where you're coming from FW, but you'll excuse me for not wanting to be there. I know most of us need our heating and lighting and radio and TV and computers but personally I try to keep that energy consumption to the mininum. I grow my own cucumbers, onions and potatoes etc because that's what I both want and need. I neither want nor need a heated loo seat (I've got one of those warm seat covers just in case it ever gets really cold :-).

If it ever came to the crunch I've got enough fuel to keep the house warm for a couple of weeks and enough food on the allotment and in the shed to keep me going for the same lengh of time - dunno about you but that's all I really 'need'.
norriethedead
5 posts

Mar 06, 2005, 15:44
Surely to make the Turbines a non-bird killing machine would be to prevent them from turning??
norriethedead
5 posts

Mar 06, 2005, 15:49
The problem with the power that is going to be produced in the wind-farms here on Lewis is, the power is not staying here it is going direct to the national grid. The revenues generated by rents etc. are going into land owners and crofters hands - giving them yet another reason to stop using the earth as a sustainable means of living, and in many respects adding one more nail to the coffin of crofting.

Also James Lovelock's daughter is very much against windfarms, and this is a woman brought up to believe in the Gaia/Mother Earth theory. (And no I dont think its a "teenage" rebellion before you ask)
norriethedead
5 posts

Mar 06, 2005, 15:51
The proposed Turbines are going to be 140m/400ft in hight and pretty well in view from anywhere in Lewis as it is a pretty flat area.
norriethedead
5 posts

Mar 06, 2005, 15:52
The proposed Turbines are going to be 140m/400ft in height and pretty well in view from anywhere in Lewis as it is a pretty flat area.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 16, 2006, 10:37
New approval for scaled down wind farm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/5085442.stm
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 16, 2006, 11:16
Hmm, chase Nick Oppenheim up, owner of the estate, and you get one of the richest men in England (growth investor)....
whatisthat
255 posts

Jun 16, 2006, 12:34
53 turbines is 53 too many.

In North Wales we have smaller 'farm' on the Denbigh Moors. It can be clearly seen from almost every hill over 300m from the Berwyn Mountains to Snowdonia. And that's the whole of North Wales!

And forget the environmental argument. These small so called 'green' companies who develop wind farms make an absolute bomb. Money is their only motive.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index