Sleeping Beauty

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Sleeping Beauty
Jun 19, 2006, 00:09
Um. Sorry - didn't mean to cause offence (& that I wasn't around)!!! I wasn't trying to 'strawman' you! (New idea to me!) That was why I phrased it as a question - tho clumsily it seems!!!

I was just interested in what you think the alternative is.

I fully agree that the landscape is worth preserving - I don't think many of us here'd disagree!!!! It's just that until someone comes up with something better, I think windfarms are OK given the situation we're in. (Which, for me, also applies to Littlestone's comments on the harm to the environment in putting them up.) They also needn't leave much of a scar if they're taken down - tho I notice in this country we seem to have more 'gubbins' around the bottom of them than they do in Denmark, where all you seemed to be able to see was the turbine & its upright.

Like 4W & a couple of others have said, I don't find them all that unsightly - in fact in a way I like them.

Not trying to get you back into the debate (unless you want to!) - just explaining that I wasn't (deliberately) being wicked!

love

Moth
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 00:47
As far as I'm concerned Moth, if you advocate a particular type of power, you should be happy to live within half a mile of that form of generation.

That puts me in the pro-windfarm side of things. I'd be totally lying if I said I'd be happy living next to a nuclear or even a coal fired plant.

However, I think its wierd to put the windfarms so far away from where the demand is - much of the energy generated is simply lost in transmission. Let every roundabout in every city be home to a turbine before we start pushing them into the countryside.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 05:35
Let every roundabout in every city be home to a turbine before we start pushing them into the countryside.

That's a fine sentiment, but unfortunately the buildings around such places would probably disturb the airflow too much, meaning more power loss per turbine than you'd lose through transmission. I know the Ford plant has a load, so it would work in some places.

According to some calculations the west coasts of the British Isles could supply enough electricity for most of Ireland and GB if you lined it with turbines. Add a load of tidal generators and you'd be selling it to Europe. However, like yourself, I'm strongly in the local generation camp myself where it can be done.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 10:46
'Let every roundabout in every city be home to a turbine before we start pushing them into the countryside.'

That's a great idea. And for what it's worth, I'd be happy to live within half a mile of a wind turbine. Bring 'em on.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 10:46
Whatever.
muddymick
136 posts

Re: Devastation in pictures
Jun 19, 2006, 14:49
give that man a coconut.......spot on!
sam
sam
151 posts

Jun 19, 2006, 19:50
My idea is that every goddamn tesco* that gets planning permission should have to have a totally solar pannelled roof. Then the town either gets loads of renewable energy - or, a much smaller tesco with a smaller roof. Either one is fine by me.

* or ikea, or sainsbury, or ok diner

And I too would happily live next to a wind turbine. I live in flats, and have tried to no avail to convince my neighbours to put a lovely shiny windmill on the top. At least we couldn't lose 20 tonnes of uranium and not even notice for 8 months. Nuclear energy might be ok if it wasn't being run by Homer Simpson.

sam
muddymick
136 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 16:54
hi in responce to the 'ovenden moor' mention, with respect this is on the end of my road.....and let me assure you either this so called report is fictitious or they are downright liars! it is absolute bollox, i am there pretty regular and this description bears little if any resemblence to the place named........or have you made a mistake? regards MM
geniet
17 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 17:15
Hello,

This was my letter towards the council:
http://www.iol.ie/%7Egeniet/eng/windmillssleepingbeauty.htm

I am not against wind mills (certainly not), but I think they have to keep in mind some cultural aspects of the environment also).

All the best,

Victor
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 19:54
We don't want any more wind farms, it's already windy enough

Sorry Jane, couldn't resist it :-) Quote from [b]28 Acts in 28 Minutes]/b] that started this evening on Radio 4.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index