Avebury »
"Orbs" at Avebury

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Treeman
65 posts

"Orbs" at Avebury
Dec 23, 2004, 01:21
Four years ago, on "Millennium Eve", the hype and hogwash of relentless state and corporate propaganda machines drove me across the country from London, where I live, to fair Avebury. There it was a deep pleasure to join several hundred others in a night of good-natured festivity with neither door control nor entry tickets. Memories and images are lodged in my brain. It was a fine night, however meaningless the date may have been. Thus can we create our own spheres and spaces of meaningfulness.

But a funny thing happened that night. Over the hours I took a dozen or so photographs and on several of them anomalies known as "orbs" appeared, sometimes in remarkable numbers. I had seen such pictures on the web before and, to be honest, was neither greatly impressed by nor enormously interested in them. So it was a surprise when they appeared on the Avebury prints, especially since I visually saw nothing resembling them at the time.

There must be people using this site who were there that night. If you are one of them, and took photos, did anything similar appear on yours? I recently rediscovered the Avebury images during a domestic sort-out and posted a few, with a commentary, on the website www.earthtransition.com (under the heading "Avebury Magic"). I personally approach this kind of stuff quite skeptically - i.e. questioningly, neither gushingly nor dismissively. Some other curious recent photographic images have, though, nudged me into a slightly more active approach to the topic and it would be good to know, not only if anyone else has had this experience at Avebury, but if so, what they (i.e. you) make of it?

Treeman
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: "Orbs" at Avebury
Dec 23, 2004, 09:58
Mornin, Treeman!

I wasn't there on the day you mention, but have photographed many an "orb" in my time...

Being a fan of holy wells, I notice that these appear, in my experience, in the more "active" of wells and springs...

I have a photo of St Nectan's Glen, which, when I first saw it, I was quite freaked out! Loads of these "orbs" and nothing else! Some appeared to have faces in!

When I came doen to earth, I realised that they were merely water droplets in the air, being caught by the camera's flash. Bah! I sort of hoped that there was a LESS simple explanation, and it may not be the case in all instances (I've seen moving ones on film before), but in my humble one, that is what they are. Bah, again!

G x
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 10:07
If you watch Living TV's 'Most Haunted' show, you'll seen orbs mysteriously appearing in just about every 'haunted' house they visit. You're guaranteed an orb sighting with every show! It's the spirits of the dead trying to contact us (allegedly).

;-)#

K x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 10:52
Orbs are balls aren't they?
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 11:15
Flash in the dark + excess mositure = floaty balls.

Apparently.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 11:20
Howdo Mr Treeman,

I saw similar things on my pics at Avebury. Initially I was well spooked, as the image through the viewfinder went all sparkly-crackly. "Eeeh!" went I, "Spookiness!". Then I realised what it was, reflection of the flash of the mist droplets.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/31617

I dunno if that's what all 'orbs' are, but I'm pretty darn sure that's the explanation for a heck of a lot of them.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 11:43
On the beach in Cornwall I've seen "sea frits" (is that the term?) in which the mist is phospherescent and millions of sparkly bits show, despite it being completely dark.
superboss
325 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 12:21
that is caused by plankton...or acid!
superboss
325 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 12:24
my girlfriend too a pic at castlerigg and a strange multicoloured blob appeared attached to one of the stones...as soon as i have home internet iu will upload it for your perusal
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Dec 23, 2004, 13:12
> that is caused by plankton...or acid!

Don't you mean 'plankton on acid'?

:-)#

I've seen this type of thing at sea. When the bow of a boat cuts through the water the disturbance makes the sea glow with little specs. It's beautiful, especially when the sky is clear and starry.

K x
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index