Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
andy worthington
25 posts

Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion
Nov 05, 2004, 22:40
Hi there,
Just to let you know about some forthcoming promotional events for my book 'Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion', described by Ronald Hutton as 'likely to remain the definitive work on the subject, simply because of the depth of coverage and range of viewpoints that it incorporates'.

Tuesday 9 November, 7pm: Talk, 'Stonehenge and the Druids' at the London Earth Mysteries Circle, The Diorama Centre, Diorama 3, Triton Square, London NW1 Website: www.lemc.ic24.net

Saturday 20 November, 2-6pm: 'Meet the author' and book signing at Libra Aries Books, 9 The Broadway, Mill Road, Cambridge, CB1 3AH Tel: 01223 412411 Website: www.pixie-inc.demon.co.uk/libra

Saturday 27 November, 11am: Talk, 'Stonehenge and Avebury: common ground and conlict zones', at the Pagan Federation Conference, Fairfield Halls, Croydon. Further info at: www.paganfed.org

Saturday 18 December, 2pm: Talk, 'Stonehenge and the counter-culture' and book signing at New Aeon Books, 95 Oldham Street, Manchester, M4 1LW Tel: 0161 839 9293 Email: [email protected]

Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion by Andy Worthington is published by Alternative Albion, an imprint of Heart of Albion Press.
For further info or to buy from the publisher, visit: www.hoap.co.uk/alternative.htm
or buy from:
Active Distribution: www.activedistribution.org
Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk
or the Megalithic Portal: www.megalithic.co.uk

Some recent reviews:

'Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion contains an extraordinary story. Anyone who imagines Stonehenge to be nothing but an old fossil should read this and worry... [This is] the most complete, well-illustrated analysis of Stonehenge's mysterious world of Druids, travellers, pagans and partygoers'.
Mike Pitts, History Today

'[A] readable and well-researched cultural history'.
Antiquity

'It's by far the best bit of modern British social history I've seen'.
John Hodge, SchNEWS
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion
Nov 06, 2004, 08:36
The PF Conference also includes a talk by our very own BrigantesNation, on the subject of ritual landscapes.

Anyone else going to be there for a meet-up?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 06, 2004, 16:34
One wonders if the word 'definitive' can ever actually be applied to anything at all (in the sense that it is truly decisive, unconditional and final).

Hang on a mo though, the OERD goes on to define definitive (of an edition of a book etc) as "most authoritative." Yeah... I'll go along with that, but how long is anything the most authoritative?

Good luck with your book though Andy - maybe see you in Cambridge.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 07, 2004, 07:46
On the subject of the historic Stonehenge festivals and antiquarianism - it was welcome seeing the stones being used for their intended purpose.
andy worthington
25 posts

Nov 07, 2004, 10:14
Hi Littlestone,
Fair point about the word 'definitive', although I don't intend to criticize what Ronald Hutton chooses to say about my book. I also noted that while reading your message, the flashing box at the top of the page was advertising The Megalithic European as a 'definitive and masterly guide'!
Hope to see you in Cambridge.
All the best,
Andy
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 07, 2004, 13:01
Hi Andy. Have a lot of respect for the writing and research of both Julian and Ronald Hutton (bumped into the latter in a pub a few years back and we had a good chinwag).

I guess the word 'definitive' is just one of those words that rankles a bit as I can't see anything ever being definitive - but then again that's probably just me being cantankerous :-).

I agree with StoneLifter's post however and look forward to getting hold of a copy your book - will stand you a couple of pints of Green King as well if I can make it to Cambridge.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 07, 2004, 19:22
Funnily enough, I've just been having another flick through this book!

Not had time to get stuck in as yet (got a LOAD of books given to me last year and am seriously struggling to get through them before the next batch this christmas!)

An excellent read so far though, and some festys I went to in there as well... Really nice to be able to relate to it in that way... And some great pics! Really brings it all flooding back... Cracking stuff!

G x
Blonde
Blonde
16 posts

Nov 08, 2004, 13:40
I've had a good look at my copy of the book - the writing about the Twyford Down protest is really good. Its great to have a book describing the whole mid 90s road protest thang so clearly cos its something I'm really glad I was part of.

Hope the book does well Andy,I've certainly enjoyed it thus far
Blonde x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 08, 2004, 14:45
>> Its great to have a book describing the whole mid 90s road protest thang so clearly cos its
>> something I'm really glad I was part of.

Have you read Merrick's <i>Battle for the Trees</i>?

(available from the HH mechandiser http://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/ )
Blonde
Blonde
16 posts

Nov 08, 2004, 15:10
nope, but reckon i probably should, so ta for that FW

i wasn't at newbury except to visit, but a friend of mine was in the trees very close to where JC was camped

Blonde x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index