The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Worcs henge discovered

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Worcs henge discovered
Oct 08, 2004, 18:35
http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/culture/2004/09/neolithic_bredon.shtml

Anyone seen this yet? I am very excited as it's within cycling distance, and my genetic ancestors inhabit the Bredon area. All this bias makes me want to post it on TMA but the server won't let me :-(

I just read of it in today's Worcester Journal, it says:

"It is the first henge... to be investigated in Worcestershire...other finds at the site include more burial pits, stone tools and pottery, which are believed to date the site somewhere between 2,700BC - 2,000 BC - the tail end of the Neolithic period.

...The archaeology department has plans to display the finds at UCW. (University College Worcester)
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Worcs henge discovered
Oct 10, 2004, 17:32
Nice one

We'll have a pootle over one of the days if you fancy?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Oct 10, 2004, 17:47
I went today. Couldn't see anything, just a multi-acre flat ploughed field, with no sign of where they dug. Bredon Hill looms in the background though. Some worked flint, and enough chunks of local ploughed out boulders in the hedgerows to make you wonder.
Google seems to think there may have been other henges in the Bredon area, and there was certainly quite a neolithic hotspot in the locality, so up yours Wilts!
PJ
1 posts

Oct 10, 2004, 20:26
Practically (but not quite) living in the Shadow of Bredon, I only found the excuse to go and have a wak around this summer. Looking at the OS Map there are loads of things to explore all over the hill, but sadly not all are accessable.

Brian Hoggards "Bredon Hill" by Logaston Press covers lots of the sites and is worth a look.

PJ
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Oct 11, 2004, 12:52
Found this...

http://www.worc.ac.uk/cms/template.cfm?name=ucw_archaeology_students_unearth_neolithic_henge_in_worcestershire

Anyone got a grid referece? It's opposite the cricket club.

K x
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index