Advice please!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Advice please!
Aug 04, 2004, 19:44
If the weather good holds (ha!), then I'm considering throwing a tent in the back of the car and heading down to the far southwest of Cornwall to do a spot of megalithing. So far on my 'must see' list, I have.....

Nine Stones of Boskednan (Nine Maidens)
The Drift Stones
The Pipers
The Merry Maidens
Boskawen-Un
Men-an-tol

Anything important that I'm missing?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a decent campsite? Ideally one that opens quite late would be nice. Even more ideally within spitting distance of a good pub. And ridiculously ideally pretty much kiddy free, secluded, bit of woodland.... maybe a babbling brook........
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Advice please!
Aug 04, 2004, 20:29
"Anything important that I'm missing?"

Trevethy Quoit is rather good.

Couldn't say about the ideal campsite, but if you find it, ask them if they can put it on wheels and trundle it up to Cumbria for bit.
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 20:32
I'd add some dolmens to that list, Trevely Quoit, Lanyon and Chun Quoit. And don't forget the Cheeswring if you're going to the Hurlers. . (I think it's by the Hurlers. . it's been over ten years since I've been to Cornwall.

I may be going to Cornwall later this to end my 'Megalithic Year', and I'll be watching this thread with interest. I know I missed Duloe when I was last there. So that's on me list!
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 20:33
Trevethy Quoit I mean. I think there's a hole in the capstone. .
paul1970
paul1970
111 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 21:09
on the road between zennor and st just theres a campsite, just a field you drive onto, set yer tent up amd pay the man when he comes round, there are toilets and water, think its roughly just before pendeen.Basically your ideally placed to visit all of the sites in the area, you cant miss the field, last time i drove by there was a big sign!.

trencom hill is nice.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 22:07
Missing loads! How long are you intending being down there?

I'd immediately add Chun, Mulfra, Zennor and Lanyon Quoits, Chapel Euny, Sennen, Alsia Wells.

All of which are in Penwith and easy reach of the other sites you listed.

Further afield are Duloe, the Bodmin Moor (North and South) sites, and St Breock Downs.

There's a hell of a lot down there! Try reading some weblogs (mine, Goffick's, Paul1970's, Purejoy's and Mr Hamhead's for starters) to see what can be done in a day.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 22:11
Thanks guys, but I'm just doing the SW tip. Already ticked off the Hurlers, Duloe etc etc off my list a while back.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 22:14
Ta muchly. Only doing the SW corner, so basically West of Penzance. Also, I'd like a chance to take in some coastline and to chill while down there, so I only want to do the 'must see' sites. Other stuff can wait until my next visit.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Aug 05, 2004, 07:13
A quickie before I go to work...

Just west of Penzance you've got Madron, Sancreed and Alsia holy wells - all of 'em a dream!

I'll get back to this thread when I get 5 mins... my favourite subject, this! ;o)

G x
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Aug 05, 2004, 07:32
Did I say Sennen Well? I meant Sancreed of course (thanks Goff!)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index