Help Please!

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fleckers
14 posts

Help Please!
Jul 07, 2004, 18:11
Hello you nice Forumites......

I am off on holiday to Cornwall in two weeks and want to visit some of the sites.

Looking in here, there are just so many sites! I don't know where to start and having never been to Cornwall before I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions of the best ones to visit. I'm stopping on the Lizard if this helps.....

Cheers

Fleckers
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Help Please!
Jul 08, 2004, 06:56
Ooh, The Lizard, eh? Lucky swine! ;o)

How about:
<a href="http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/234">Halligye Fogou</a>
<a href="http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/704">Tolven Holed Stone</a>
<a href="http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3954">Mabe Church</a>

I've not spent much time around that area - I'm sure someone else can give you more ideas than me! There's a number of holy wells down on t'Lizard too...

Enjoy!

G x
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 07:11
The Lizard, huh?

[[Dry Tree]] Menhir on Goonhilly is nice, but ruined by the view of the dishes. There's the [[Three Brothers of Grugith]] at Zoar, but mind the gorse and adders! [[Crousa Common]] Stones (I've only seen these over the hedge). [[Tremenhere Menhir]] is also close by.

Those are the ones that come to mind without looking. Plus the ones Goffick mentioned (oh, and [[Trewardreva Fogou]] which is near Mabe).

Just off the Lizard there's [[Prospidnick]] Longstone, and if you're going there you have to pop into the Handy Shop at Sithney for an amazing cream tea - best I've ever had!

Be aware that West Penwith is only 30-40 minutes drive away, and you've got literally hundreds to see there.

Take a look at some weblogs here (Goffick, myself, Mr Hamhead, Paul1970, and Pure Joy have all written extensively about our trips in Cornwall) for other suggestions as to what can be achieved in a day trip in the area.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 07:12
Booger! I never can get the linking stuff right on the forums here.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 10:26
Ooer! And my links look REALLY weird if looking via the HH site!

As Oci says - nothing it really THAT far away within Cornwall - we normally stay up near Padstow (just over the river in Rock, actually) and it's only an hour or so's drive to Lands End! And I drive like an old man! Actually - be warned that the Lands End "theme park" is utter shite, and a visit to Lands End should consist of avoiding to pay ANYTHING towards the idiots that came up with the idea of it. The scenery when you get through the concrete crap is lovely, but is ruined somewhat by it all... The Lizard is far superior in my opinion. Or further up the coast from Lands End - Sennen Cove and Cape Cornwall are lovely.

Now you got me going. I'll stop and breathe for a bit.

G x
fleckers
14 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 11:25
Cheers to Messrs O & G!

Looks like I am going to be busy (not sure I'd recognize an Adder though!)
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 11:41
We always stay in West Penwith, on the basis it's as far as we can go...

Back there for August Bank Holiday, then again in September whoopee! The B&B we used in Trewellard last time may be on the market soon - we're sorely tempted!
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 11:44
http://www.threadnaught.net/~caleb/ukserpen.html
fleckers
14 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 12:19
Thanks for this - I'll make sure that I don't step on any!

We're camping in Cornwall, so I'm hoping that the weather improves and the wind dies down a bit!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 08, 2004, 12:20
Go for it! It's (yet another one of my) dream(s)!

Aw, man! If I was single (sorry, Mrs G!) I would most sertainly go for it...

Jeez - August AND September - I thought I had it bad! The love for Cornwall, that is. In case there's any confusion.

Guest House in Trewellard... MMmmmmmmmmmmmm......

:o/

G x
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index