Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: didimus.
Jul 02, 2004, 18:34
I wasn't patronising you matey,
I felt that you was dissin' Bradley and Burl without offering any knowlege of their work. I suggest you check out their ideas & methodologies before knocking them down.
I can't find any Burl references to huge axe factories. If you read his 'big book' you'll find he's very even handed about ideas surrounding the possibility of axe cults & the axe trade.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: What Is It??
Jul 02, 2004, 18:44
I can't comment on Ferriters Cove as I've not read anything on it, other than Cooneys comment. I was hoping you could enlighten me. What caught my eye was his "pre-dated the formal beginning of the Neolithic" comment.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

damn! more errors
Jul 02, 2004, 18:58
"Huge axe factories" should read - "Huge axe markets"

I can't even quote properly!
I blame the hawiians
;)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: didimus.
Jul 02, 2004, 19:52
I originally said ...

"The theory that there were huge axe markets seems solely based on Burl's need to explain the presence of axe carvings at sites. It's like ley-lines. Someone mentions a thought and everyone runs wild with it. If there is more solid to it than this will somebody please point me at it."

i.e. Burl offered them as a possibility - everyone else takes them as fact.

I don't dis Burl. How can you?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: What Is It??
Jul 02, 2004, 19:58
Yeah. That's a good bit. I am more than certain that this cache will be detailed in the Stone Axe Project I mentioned earlier, which I will start reading next week.

The project details every recorded finding of an axe and all the known axe factories. I am very interested to see how 'landscape relevent' they go and how much they just be 'all accademic' about it.

Don't get me wrong on any of this. All these subjects that offer a few, limited, but consistant facts (and there are so many in this field) need speculation. Theories are a must, but none of them can be taken as being the definitive answer. Of course, if you get enough good theories then one of them is likely to be the right one, but we will not be able to say which one it is.

As Henry Ford said*, "I know half my advertising is pointless. Problem is no one can tell me which half."

* I think it was he.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Ferriter's Cove
Jul 02, 2004, 20:22
The 3 excavation reports from the Irish database.
The last one has the reference to the cache

http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=1986&County=Kerry&id=3666
http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Kerry&id=3602
http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Kerry&id=3083
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Ferriter's Cove
Jul 02, 2004, 20:37
I was just there. Doesn't say much does it. That site could be so good if they just pressed a few more keys when adding an entry!

"The northern area adjacent to Trench 2 was characterised by a relatively sterile sandy silt (0.1m in thickness) which contained few artefacts. However within the silt was a small group of cattle bones C14 dated to 5510 BP. Towards the base a small cache of polished stone axes was recovered (5 axes were found)."

The odd part is 'towards the base', not 'at the base'.

I'm also curious to know why 3500 bce is considered by some to be before the Neolithic, when Ireland's Neolithic was 2000 years old by then.
stubob
stubob
308 posts

Re: damn! more errors
Jul 02, 2004, 20:37
I blame them blue bits on the hawaiins meself......
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 02, 2004, 20:42
I was just there. Doesn't say much does it. That site could be so good if they just pressed a few more keys when adding an entry!

"The northern area adjacent to Trench 2 was characterised by a relatively sterile sandy silt (0.1m in thickness) which contained few artefacts. However within the silt was a small group of cattle bones C14 dated to 5510 BP. Towards the base a small cache of polished stone axes was recovered (5 axes were found)."

The odd part is 'towards the base', not 'at the base'.

I'm also curious to know why 3500 bce is considered by some to be before the Neolithic, when Ireland's Neolithic was 2000 years old by then.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 02, 2004, 20:43
Arse! Lost my internet connex and didn't think it had posted first time ...
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index