The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Hampshire »
Hampshire Folklore?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AlexG
3 posts

Hampshire Folklore?
Jun 16, 2004, 11:45
Hi! I'm conducting research for a MA dissertation on folklore of prehistoric sites in Hampshire and was wondering if anyone out there has any stories?
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Re: Hampshire Folklore?
Jun 16, 2004, 14:38
Not quite sure if this is what you want but a very quick search through TMA brings up this about St. Catherine's Hill just outside Winchester... http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3392#folklore
Plenty of Arthurian legends of course!
The Hants web site wasn't too helpful so a trip to the Local Studies section of the Winchester Library might be useful.
P.S. Are you the Alex G I know here in Winchester?
AlexG
3 posts

Jun 16, 2004, 15:46
Yes, Jim - this is me!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 16, 2004, 15:53
I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs - I'm sure you've got 'Hampshire Barrows' and 'Folklore of Prehistoric Sites in Britain' by Leslie Grinsell? What is your MA in overall?
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Jun 16, 2004, 18:26
Welcome to the madhouse mate ;)
AlexG
3 posts

Jun 18, 2004, 10:13
Hi Rhiannon, yeah I've got those & the Wendy Boase book from the Batsford Folklore series. I'm studying for an MA in Local & Regional History & Archaeology at University College Winchester and doing my thesis on development of folklore at prehistoric sites in the Wessex region. What i'm looking for is current folktales that I can compare with older accounts...
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 18, 2004, 11:09
Sounds very interesting. You could copy Kathleen Wiltshire and get out to the WI :)
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index