Re: The weekend
May 18, 2004, 13:02
Did you see it?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

May 18, 2004, 13:05
Actually, how do you know it wasn't there? Just because you didn't see it? That's hardly proof is it :-)

Come to think of it how do you know it was ever there at all?

Surely you went to see an alledged standing stone but couldn't find any sign of it. ;-)

<runs and hides>
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: I know I'm right
May 18, 2004, 14:01
> I know I'll never really know, but you gotta admit this
> is one hell of an interesting thread :-)

You're right there. Glad you made your ghost observation public. If you see any more, let us know.

K x
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

May 18, 2004, 14:05
> Come to think of it how do you know it was ever there at all?

Actually, I don't. I went there on a whim after seeing it on CARN (Coflein wasn't working). It might have never been there, or more likely it was destroyed in the 19th century.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

May 18, 2004, 14:12
Indeed, this is fascinating stuff fourwinds. Have you considered going back there to have another look? Could it be a peculiarity of the lie of the land maybe? So that the figure could have gone out of sight behind a disguised hummock of land or similar?

I'm particularly interested that it's you who saw it, as you are generally quite sceptical about things like this if memory serves (no offense meant, on the contrary, you always seem very scientific). Occam's Razor would kind of point to it being a trick of the light, or of your mind, but you never know. It's as well to keep an open mind I suppose.

Intruiging!

Squid
x
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 18, 2004, 14:17
This bloke, did he look a bit shifty, with a big fat salmon slung over his shoulder?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Occam's Razor
May 18, 2004, 14:26
"People who use that often end up slitting their own throat" - Tom FourWinds 2004

You're right. A large lump of *me* doesn't really want to accept what my eyes told me they saw, but I know that they did see it. I actually walked back by a slightly diffeent route so that I could look at the lie of the land from another angle. While doing this I came across some hut circles and anciemt enclosures, which was a bonus :-)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

May 18, 2004, 14:40
We'll get the bugger before I leave.

love

Moth
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Yes, but...
May 18, 2004, 17:44
"First off I realised there *is* no after-life"

Can you prove that, or is it as impossible to prove as the existence of the afterlife? ;)
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Basically
May 18, 2004, 17:46
One of the first films that the people of Britain ever saw, when these new-fangled cinemas first began appearing on our shores, was a simple shot of a train pulling up at a platform in a railway station (no sound even). As the train got larger and larger, as it drew nearer the camera, entire audiences would scream and cower behind their seats, terrified that it would run them over.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index