The weekend

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: The weekend
May 17, 2004, 15:23
'Twas just a farmer I observed walking towards me for a couple of minutes across open peat bog with low heather cover - nothing to hide behind for 800m in any direction. I disturbed a skylark, which shot into the air singing beautifully and made me look away from him. When I looked back the man was gone and there was nowhere for him to have gone to. I went over to where he was and looked around just in case he'd disappeared down a swallow-hole or something, but soon figured that a local farmer, especially an auld one, would know the land really well anyway and be able to avoid such things with ease.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

May 17, 2004, 15:57
Did u feel strange? Was there a static charge in the air? Did the man look real? How long did you watch him for? And was he walking or did he drift?
(((yaLi)))
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

May 17, 2004, 16:10
I know someone who sees these sort of apparitions drifting around the moors on a fairly regular basis. He reckons that there's more of them about in the days around Samhain.

If Lethbridge is right, and people can be "recorded" by a place, then I like the idea of some hapless individual seeing my ghost wandering Elph Cleugh in a thousand years time!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

May 17, 2004, 16:35
>> Did u feel strange?

Not at all. If anything 'strangely unstrange' if that makes sense.

>> Was there a static charge in the air?

No

>> Did the man look real?

Very

>> How long did you watch him for?

Probably 300m slow walking. A minute or so?

>> And was he walking or did he drift?

Walking I would say, but he was coming straight towards me, although I really can't remember him rising up and down as if crossing uneven bog land.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

May 17, 2004, 16:36
Oddly my thought at the time of not seeing him was "Oh, so it does happen" :-)
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

FW back on mushrooms? ;o)
May 17, 2004, 17:10
You and I have both taken the cyncial line in the past when dealing with supernatural topics, yet you seem convinced that you saw a ghost. Have you considered all of the following?:

1. Mirage effects - was he shimmering at all?
2. Hallucination - what did you have for breakfast?
3. Are you sure there was nowhere he could have hidden?
4. Could he have fallen and you misjudjed the distance and so looked in the wrong place?

How far away from him were you when he "disappeared"?

For the record, I have had two difficult to explain experiences, but I still don't believe in ghosts.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: FW back on mushrooms? ;o)
May 17, 2004, 17:22
>> 1. Mirage effects - was he shimmering at all?

No

>> 2. Hallucination - what did you have for breakfast?

Not guilty your honour!

>> 3. Are you sure there was nowhere he could have hidden?

Yes

>> 4. Could he have fallen and you misjudjed the distance and so looked in the wrong place?

Possibly

I had actually meant to write 'ghost' with very definite and deliberate quotes, but didn't for some reason. What I saw was NOT a ghost in the "whoo, spooky" spirit sense. I saw what I believed to be a very solid person.
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Re: FW back on mushrooms? ;o)
May 17, 2004, 17:36
>> 4. Could he have fallen and you misjudjed the distance and so looked in the wrong place?

>Possibly

poor sod might still be there ...
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Lethbridge & ghosts
May 17, 2004, 17:39
I don't think FourWinds is using the term "ghost" in the usual sense of the word, but in the sense that Tom Lethbridge uses it: a "recording". Not the spirits of the dead, but places "remembering" people of the past, like a tape recorder.

Have you ever read Lethbridge, Steve? I think he might appeal to you: his work attempts to explain "unexplained" things such as ghosts using scientific method. A rational enquiry into the weird and the wonderful...

Then again, you might hate him! ;)
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Lethbridge & ghosts
May 17, 2004, 17:49
No, I haven't read any of his work, but since he keeps cropping up here, I might check him out. I tend to regard concepts such as places "recording" and "replaying" things from the past as fairly wild speculation. Without at least a proposal for a mechanism by which this could happen, it's just as far-fetched as fairies at the bottom of the garden or telekinesis.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index