Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Fields Recordings From The Sea
Apr 19, 2004, 23:23
This thread is slowly blowing my mind!

What you say about Lapp-style herdsmen shows how central pastoralism is to these questions. There is no abrupt transition from hunter-gatherer to farmer surely - it all goes through the "half-way house" of pastoralism. Perhaps the pastoralist "revolution" is what began to give us the time to think.

The argument that agriculture represents our first wrestling of control over our lives from "the Mother's apron-strings" makes me uncomfortable. This attaining of control was surely a long process that began not with pastoralism, even, but the discovery of fire, or perhaps the making of the first tool (like in 2001: A Space Oddyssey),
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Sudden thought.
Apr 19, 2004, 23:24
a bit like this:
Shellfish are particularly rich in certain long chain fatty acids needed to promote neuronal development in small children. That abundant shellfish diet may have produced alterations in conciousness as a result of the seafood. This may be part of any change in thinking on a wider scale.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Sudden thought.
Apr 19, 2004, 23:27
They always used to tell us at school that eating fish feeds your brain.

Sets my head reeling with the possibility of clues in the myths. I may have to have a dig around for any relevant sea-gods and fish-symbols. Possibly just a red-herring, though!
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Apr 19, 2004, 23:34
Red herring! Hee!
Used to be a laid back cafe in Newcastle that did.

My head's spiralling all over. Off to check on those fatty acids.
wideford
1086 posts

Apr 19, 2004, 23:43
Speaking of spare time it is actually hunter-gatherers that have plenty of it rather than the agriculturalists who replace them
wideford
1086 posts

Apr 19, 2004, 23:45
If it were the eating of shellfish that started it we would expect more megalithic monuments around the coast, surely
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Apr 19, 2004, 23:51
Unless there's other factors that have oblitterated those monuments? I genuinely don't know, but don't sea levels rise and fall quite a lot?
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Apr 19, 2004, 23:53
Is this proven? I'm not being facetious but curious.

Doesn't agriculture mean that you have more time on your hands during the winter months than a hunter gatherer? From the crops stored up in the barn, you know.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Apr 19, 2004, 23:56
And haven't a fair few monuments been found <i>under</i> the sea? Like Seahenge. I hear there's a fair few underwater temples around the Scilly Isles/Lyonesse, too. Who knows what else may have been destroyed by the rising tide.
GordonP
474 posts

Apr 20, 2004, 06:07
No-one has mentioned war, we never stop fighting even now. War the constant battle for a tribe to control its own territory. Perhaps the stones were a visible sign to intruders. Our closest relitives, chimps are territorial.
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index