The Polisher »
polisher stone

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ZiggyShort
13 posts

polisher stone
Feb 24, 2004, 15:53
I was out walking on the Ridgeway from Barbury to Avebury on Sunday, and wanted to visit the Polisher Stone on Fyfield Down. I completely lost my bearings though. The fence has been completely replaced, and old markers have now gone. As it was getting a bit nippy, I didn't want to spend too much time looking for it. Can anyone definitively direct me there? Perhaps I shouldn't be asking this - as a well preserved secret, it has survived thus long (sleeping dogs...). I could always send my personal email if required.
Thanks
Ziggy
ZiggyShort
13 posts

Re: polisher stone
Feb 24, 2004, 15:59
Just seen some of Jane Tomlinson's photos on this very subject. I think I'll give it another bash next w/e weather permitting (Thanks Jane).
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Feb 24, 2004, 16:17
http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~gtour/Poliss.htm
here's a panoramic, does this help?
PeteG
ZiggyShort
13 posts

Feb 24, 2004, 16:39
Thanks Pete - I'll have another go at the w/e. I think if I can find the forked tree, I'll know my way from there. The tree is quite a distinctive feature, as is the pointed stone - I should be able to spot both of those from the path.
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Feb 24, 2004, 17:39
if it helps I always used to walk along the gallops rails till I saw the tree..there again my dog wouldn't let me pass that tree !

VBB
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Feb 24, 2004, 21:53
Ayup, I wrote a description which a coupla peeps have found helpful. If you want it, drop me a mail. (Tho you're right about the tree & the pointy stone!)

Address is on my profile :^) Put TMA in the subject or ye might get deleted without opening...!

love

Moth
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Feb 24, 2004, 22:05
http://minerva.york.ac.uk/catalogue/proj_data/fyfod/html/66toc.html
for some excavation reports around the polisher stone.
PeteG
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Feb 25, 2004, 10:08
"Two other polished, recumbent stones have also been noted further south on Overton Down"

Anyone seen these? Pete?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Feb 25, 2004, 11:57
I haven't seen them but Gill Swanton (the landowner) originaly claimed credit for finding these.
Gill is an archaeologist so people Believe her,
Terry Meadon also found them but he's a meteorologist so the archaeo's can ignore any of his findings.
So thats 3 on fyfield, 1 on the Kennet ave and 3 in the WKLB and 1 re-buried on the Beckhampton avenue.
PeteG
ZiggyShort
13 posts

Feb 28, 2004, 11:09
I've looked on your profile but can't find your address. This is becoming a mission. Before you can find the Polisher you must find the address... LOTR eat your heart out!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index