Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
". . . . a surge of power from a circle ....

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

". . . . a surge of power from a circle ....
Jan 13, 2004, 14:33
I've just been going through some old Scots Magazines looking for references to standing stones, and came across this in an '86 issue:

"Until recently, the dowsers' experience had been the only method of finding a possible energy emanation from a stone circle. However, recent experiments with ultrasonic equipment show that there is indeed a surge of power from a circle which increases with the coming of a full moon, or just before sunrise."

is this true?!

Cheers
Andy
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: ". . . . a surge of power from a circ...
Jan 13, 2004, 14:53
Don't ya just hate this type of article that cites something like "recent ultrasonic experiments" as though they arise from an authoratitive scientific study, but then fail to give any references. If it's truly possible to obtain objective scientific measurements of energies emanating from stone circles and to show that they have a high statistical correllation to the phases of the moon, then that would be such a breakthrough that it would be the main story on the BBC evening news. The fact that it has taken 18 years of continual failure to achieve such status ought to tell you something.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 15:02
It could be the Dragon Project - though I don't know if they did anything in Scotland. I think Paul Devereux's book on it is 'places of power' (but I could be wrong).

You could have a read here:
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~aburnham/book/devereux1trans.htm
TimP
TimP
23 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 16:11
I know that Barbrook IV in the Peaks is claimed to give electric shocks when dowsed at sunset, and I think some of the stones on the SW side at Barbrook I (which Julian laments driving his vehicle into a ditch in TMA) are alleged to give shocks at different times of the year; I think the Equinox. Is PW or Walrus around on these boards?

Cheers

Tim
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 16:31
I remember reading somewhere once that someone had found the quartzite in the stones at Boscawen-Un in Cornwall to be negatively and positively charged in alternation (ie - one stone +, then the next next -, then + n' so on). Unfortunately, I have no references.

I've also heard of the Twelve Apostles giving people electric shocks, but I've never experienced it.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 20:57
Sounds like dodgy pseudo-science at it's glorious best.
But, if I put on my "not-a-totally-sceptical-git" hat on for a second, I'd be willing to theorise that if you bombard a stone with ultrasound, then it might be possible that the sound waves could vibrate any quartz in the stone to release the odd electron or two, in a vaguely piezo-electric manner. These electrons might then generate field which might then be detectable by a magnetometer.
If the stone had enough quartz. If the ultrasound was capable of vibrating the quartz. If enough electrons were released to generate an e.m. field. If the field is strong enough to be detected. And perhaps more importantly, if you really, really wanted to find an energy surge.

I'm quite aware that this is highly dubious reasoning, and would like to declare that I know very little about physics anyway. The conjecture is partly for fun, partly as an exercise in trying to stay fairly open minded.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 22:49
It's more likely to be the people who give the stones an electric shock (so to speak). If you are wearing shoes or boots that are good insulators and you get nicely charged up with static by removing a pullover or jacket and then touch a non-charged or earthed object you often get a small electric shock. I'm sure everyone has experienced something similar at some time in their lives.

If you have a sweater that crackles as you remove it, try doing it in the dark in front of a mirror.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Jan 13, 2004, 22:59
Not bad for a non-physicist. I'll bet that there is even a real physicist out there somewhere who might argue along similar lines, but as you rightly point out, the effect is likely to be so infinitessimaly small as to undetectable. Also, it's likely that the quartz crystals would be randomly orientated and as such their piezo voltages would cancel each other out rather than accumulating any field strength.

P.S. Yes, I'm a physicist.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 14, 2004, 06:46
We had a similar discussion ages ago about the Glencullen standing stone in Co. Wicklow. It stands just under 6ft high, but is aledged to go down 20 feet.

Speculation, and taht's all it was, theorised about what would happen if you sank a solid quartz stone into an underground stream (of which there are many in the area): would stones etc. being bounced off it 'charge it up'?
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Jan 14, 2004, 10:21
Hmmm..

In the peizo electric effect a charge is produced between opposite sides of a crystal by "electron density displacement" in proportion to the stress applied to the crystal. When the stress is removed, the electron density reverts to its previous uniform state and there is no longer a charge. It's hard to see how any kind of permanent field could be created by a succession of minor impacts.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index