The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Winter Solstice

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
daveyravey
daveyravey
357 posts

Winter Solstice
Dec 16, 2003, 18:39
Where is everyone going to on Winter Solstice? I am in Huddersfield and looking for somewhere particularly ambient, and fairly local, for the occasion.
Dave
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: Winter Solstice
Dec 17, 2003, 10:42
Hi Dave.... I come from Huddersfield and used to use Castle Hill for Solstice sunrises. There's also the Bridestones at Todmorden, or if you fancy going a little further a-field. the Twelve Apostles circle on Ilkley Moor.

I hear that the pub on Castle Hill is being rebuilt? Hope they don't turn it into some glass fronted yuppie bar! Used to be a good pub for lock-ins at one time, 'till the carvery crowd moved in!! Last time I was there, I was served my pint on a paper napkin by some joker in a corporate uniform.... I wasn't impressed!
daveyravey
daveyravey
357 posts

Dec 18, 2003, 21:54
I suffered the same type of service once, fortunately there is only one wall left of that pub. I've been up there before on solstice day and it's great when the whether is clear.
Dave
daveyravey
daveyravey
357 posts

Dec 18, 2003, 21:56
Sorry, weather (not whether). I wouldn't want to upset any gramatically embittered poster out there.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Dec 19, 2003, 09:43
As the local folklore goes, when the pub was built in 1812, workmen found a set of steps leading down into the hill. No one seems to have plucked up the courage to investigate, but there are many folktales of tunnels leading out from Castle Hill. I was hoping that someone may take the opportunity to investigate while the pub is being re-assembled...... where's Paul Bennett when you need him?!?!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index