Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Landscape Mysteries - 'Figures in the chalk'
Oct 01, 2003, 18:40
Plan your telly viewing, fellow TMAers!

Tomorrow night (Thursday) 7.30pm, BBC2, Professor Aubrey Manning (who is a dude) will be <B>thrilling</B> us with his explorations of British chalk figures. Uffy poppo, the Long Man and Cerne Abbas will all star!

Set your videos, to code 6192 and get watching. You'll be cross if you forget...

J
xx
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: Landscape Mysteries - 'Figures in the chalk'
Oct 01, 2003, 20:19
Yes it should be good. Looks like it will confirm the Uffington White Horse as Bronze Age, but I wonder what it will have to say about the age of Wilmington and Cerne Abbas. Is the Head Heritage logo a piece of 18th century graffiti? My money says it is.
AtomicMutton
AtomicMutton
104 posts

'Figures in the chalk'
Oct 02, 2003, 07:29
17th.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: 'Figures in the chalk'
Oct 02, 2003, 08:59
Whatever.

Ancient? Modern? Ancient? Modern? I remain to be convinced either way and hope to learn more.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Oct 02, 2003, 09:26
Yes, I started a section on Brigantesnation for hill figures and really drew a blank except Uffington.

However, what I would like to say is, the vale of the white horse, and white horse cliff up here at Sutton Bank near Thirsk were called that long before the hill figure was carved. Yet there were poems about the white horse and notable antiquaries were commenting on how the cliff naturally looked like a white horse. Could it be the site of earlier works? If so, does it being covered up by the modern horse mean we will never look?

I found a reference in a "Bogg" book about there being seven stones originally at the Devils Arrows.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Oct 02, 2003, 10:24
"Bogg"?

Qu'est que c'est?

Ignorant Moth
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Oct 02, 2003, 10:43
Scratched on a toilet wall!

Noooo Edmond Bogg, wrote masses of books about Yorkshire, he surveyed almost everywhere and was very well read, and therefore makes some interesting reading. Being an antiquarian, some of his interpretation is a tad suspect, but in terms of recording ancient stuff he's definately one to read.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Oct 02, 2003, 10:51
Cool - thanx BN. Out of print?

love

M
AtomicMutton
AtomicMutton
104 posts

Bogg = Bo ?
Oct 02, 2003, 11:03
I slept past the Devil's Arrows both ways yesterday - in a white van.

What is the Bogg book ?

(White van was National Express coach)
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Oct 02, 2003, 11:07
Yes, but widely available in libraries (in Yorkshire) and a quite expensive buy in 2nd hand shops
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index