Stone shifting 4

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Names
Sep 13, 2003, 10:28
What a brainwave that was Baza! Absolutely terrific and I like Moth's project title. It leaves the way wide open for a second phase:
Stonehengineers - Raising the Trilithon.

I have to say that I agree with Nigel about keeping a non-confontational, sober profile at this stage. I'm afraid that "stonehengetheanswer" is too provocative. When you look at the huge amount of meticulous and painstaking effort that has gone into the excavations and the preparation of the book "Stonehenge in it's Landscape" alone, you must realise that anyone claiming to have "the answer" to Stonehenge would be seen to be sticking two fingers up at the establishment and they certainly won't like it.

Like Nigel says, I think we need a low-key website which can be used to attract the people that count, not Joe Public. The "Megalith Project" is a non-specific, non-provocative name that would serve this purpose nicely. However, I think that "Stonehengineers" is so good that we should reserve that domain name too even if we don't use it immediately. I'm happy to do that, I can reserve a domain name for about £9. It then costs an additional £20 to get it up and running, which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.
nigelswift
8112 posts

The Megalith Project Website
Sep 13, 2003, 11:53
Here's my idea for the basis of a Megalithic Project home page, to start a discussion.

(Does anyone want to do a similar thing for a proposed submission to film/TV companies on "Stonehengineers - Moving the Megaliths"?

The Megalith Project aims to investigate the means by which Neolithic communities transported and erected large stones to produce megalithic monuments. The group comprises archaeologists and antiquarians based mainly in Britain, and the focus is therefore mainly upon the many British monuments, and with an eventual emphasis on Stonehenge.

Our focus is upon practical experimentation using full-sized stones and primitive technology in order to gain insight into the engineering and human difficulties encountered by the ancient peoples, and the solutions that may have occurred to them. The project has been inspired by a new and apparently highly efficient means of stone moving that has been proposed. < Link to pages about Gordon, contrasting efficiency of all previous solutions with his>.
In essence, our working hypothesis is that since this method appears to be vastly more efficient than all previous assumptions, it is not unreasonable to consider that it may have been recognized and used. Such a concept, which would imply many monuments could have been constructed by quite small teams, has wide-ranging implications for much currently accepted archaeological thought and is therefore worthy of rigorous practical testing.

The project is intended to be in the form of a series of experiments using the newly proposed method, which has been termed “stone rowing”. < Link to engineering-type explanation and diagrams> Several highly encouraging demonstrations have already been carried out by it’s originator, Gordon Pipes < link to more Gordon stuff >

The intended sequence of tests, with approximate dates, is listed below. Links to photographs and reports will be added shortly after each test.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: The Megalith Project Website
Sep 13, 2003, 12:43
Hi Nigel

This is a bit frustrating - I'd really like to get involved with this bit as it's (allegedly) my area of expertise - I'm a text editor and (non-techie!) web developer by trade.

Unfortunately, the timing's bad as I'm really busy with childcare etc this weekend than I'm away until Friday with no web access, then I have intensive childcare next weekend too!

I've only got 2 mins now!!!

Any chance of holding this sort of stuff 'til I'm available again - around 22-23 Sept?

If not, no probs - I'm not saying I can work miracles or even do things that nobody else here can do, but I was picked for my job because I'm good at it!

In the meantime, I hate to say it, but your draft is WAY too text heavy, esp for a homepage.

The homepage should really just say in a few VERY short paras (preferably less than 5 lines each) the real BASICS of the project, it's aims, a VERY quick description of the technique and maybe when we plan to do it. Really simple bare-bones stuff on the homepage.

(SHIT I want to show you – but I've no time!)

Then usually you'd have a menu to take people to a page for each subject where you can get more detailed…but still not too intense – give an email address so people who want REALLY techy stuff go straight to the 'brains'.

Keep bearing in mind we're all mad obsessives here from one point of view or another,but the project might even interest relatively sane people too!!!

I don't know who is doing the actual webpages but I'm sure just about anyone who volunteers will be able to set up separate pages for the different elements you're covering & link the pages – it's pretty easy.

Bloody hell, wish I could help more NOW!

Gonna have to go – I'll try to check in later!

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 13, 2003, 12:56
Moth, I love the way this project keeps bringing out people with the perfect expertise for each job. I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to put that side of it on hold for as long as you like, and delighted to think it's going to be done in a non-amateur way. As you know Steve's got the website stuff and Wotan's got the graphics so I reckon between you you can do a heck of a job.
I'll just stick to my preferred area, trying to figure out the shape of holes that have been entirely excavated away :O
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 13, 2003, 13:04
PS...

I kind of twigged you might be the chap for the job when you changed
"To Demonstrate the Efficient Transportation of Megalithic Stones" to:
"Moving the Megaliths"!

:)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 13, 2003, 13:24
LOL! Bless!!

But Baz's 'Stonehengineers' was SO inspired!!!! 'Plain English' is easy with a bit of practice!

Well, if I'm duly elected, that's great - from 22-23 Sept I'll have acouple of weeks with SOME time available to have a look at it.

No promises, but I MIGHT also be able to rope in one of our webdesigners to do the HTML etc if that's OK with everyone. If so, he'll be able to utilise the graphics Wotan comes up with.

If you like I can use your first stab as a basis for the content of the site, stripping it down, divvying it up, writing it in English (tee-hee) & maybe grabbing a few bits off Gordon's site etc....

<B>Remind me around 22-23 Sept!!!!</B> Send me a mail then Nigel!!! Also send any other stuff you think should go on & I'll see what I think....

I wanna start NOW :^( !!!!

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

V quick PS
Sep 13, 2003, 13:32
We REALLY SHOULD use the same name & project title etc for everything. It builds identity, credibility, reconition etc and avoids confusion.

If we use the clever & snappy 'Stonhengineers' thing it needs to be for everything. It certainly ain't going to put off academics etc, believe me.

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: V quick PS
Sep 13, 2003, 13:33
<B>recognition</B>. Bloody hell I must be excited - typos a-go-go!!

M
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Sep 13, 2003, 13:41
I've registered megalithproject.co.uk and reserved stonehengineers.co.uk.

You know we are building a good team here. I won't get into mentioning names, because I might miss someone out and I would hate to subdue anyone's enthusiasm for the project. Everyone who has contributed to these discussions has been instrumental in honing the ideas into something that we can present to the world.

As Nigel says we are just lacking a qualified archaeologist, but maybe when we have a professional-looking website and a matching letterhead we will attract someone of stature.

Moth, I'm familiar with all the technical web stuff for menus, links, etc., I've done a few websites already, but I would more than welcome your expertise especially on design, layout, etc.

You're absolutely right about keeping it simple and not too wordy. Nigel's text has some good stuff in it, but as you say too much for the home page. I see a twofold purpose for this website. Primarily it's to impress and intrigue people so they'll want to know more, so we need to keep a few things up our sleeves, and secondly to be a source of news of events, such as the 10 ton trial.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Between mouthfuls....
Sep 13, 2003, 13:51
...giving 'the boy' his lunch!!

Spot on! I look forward to having a proper think & coming up with some stuff in a couple of weeks time!

Gotta run! (Again!)

love

M
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index