Megalithic
140 posts

'New' Stone Circle near Callanish in the news
Aug 28, 2003, 21:59
From the description in the Herald article posted in the news
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/archive/28-8-19103-0-5-38.html
it sounds like it's this site otherwise known as 'Callanish X', see
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=274071080
text from "The Stones around Callanish" written by Gerald Ponting and Margaret Ponting (now Margaret Curtis) in the late 1980s. Or else it's another circle very close to it.

Cheers
Andy
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: 'New' Circle near Callanish in the news
Aug 29, 2003, 07:26
don't know if it's Callanish X or not, but it made it into the Scottish Sun too. Somebody gave me the clipping.

Titled "It's a Scottish Stonehenge" it says it was "bigger and older" than Stonehenge. The size there is listed as "33yards wide and each stone measures between 8ft and 13 ft long"

moey
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: New Stone Circle near Callanish in the news
Aug 29, 2003, 09:21
It is a great find - with a capital GREAT. Will they re-erect it? Probably ... and the charge you to see it ? ... hopefully not.

"The circles may have taken centuries to go up, one by one. People have tended to see these things as temples. But I think the significance of the process was the dragging of the stones and their size and quality."

I'm not sure I agree with this quote though. If this is the case then some circles are really, really bad, because the quality and size of the stones is poor. Take the Cork/Kerry five-stoners - tiny but very importantly located. What he says might apply for the some areas, but it can't be applied everywhere.
Mr Altres
Mr Altres
140 posts

'New' Stone Circle near Callanish in the news
Aug 29, 2003, 11:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/england/manchester/3186601.stm
Mr Altres
Mr Altres
140 posts

Actual Article
Aug 29, 2003, 11:50
An ancient stone circle, buried for thousands of years, has been uncovered by archaeologists at a site in the Outer Hebrides.

Experts say the discovery is second in importance only to Stonehenge.

The find was made close to the four other existing stone circles at the famous standing stones of Callanish, on the Isle of Lewis.

The discovery of the 30m circle - which is at least 3,000 years old and predates Stonehenge - was made by a team of archaeologists from Manchester University.

Their construction is unusual because instead of being bedded in earth, they are situated on a rocky outcrop and were originally propped up by stones encircling their bases.

Because they were propped up when built, the stones have fallen over and some are broken.

Colin Richards, who led the team, said the discovery was exciting, because it appeared the circle was built on the site of the quarry from which the stones probably originated.

Mr Richards, who is senior lecturer in the university's School of Art History and Archaeology, has been working on a project for the last two years on the construction of stone circles in the north west of the UK, including Orkney and Arran.

"There are not many stone circles in this condition and I have never seen this type of construction used before," he said.

"It was long thought that there may be a further stone circle on the site but, until now, it has lain undiscovered, buried in the peat.

"This is a very exciting find and is not only significant in archaeological terms but also important for the island which benefits from tourism."

The team has uncovered about half of the stones in the circle and plans to return next year to uncover the rest.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Actual Article
Aug 29, 2003, 13:44
It really does sound fantastic doesn't it! I might just leave my Callanish trip until it's all uncovered (and perhaps re-erected).

"Experts say the discovery is second in importance only to Stonehenge. "

Dont' they always :-)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Actual Article
Aug 29, 2003, 15:28
Bloody thing'll have been re-erected, fallen down & got buried again by the time I get to go again....

love

Moth
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

"New" Callanish Stone Circle Update
Aug 31, 2003, 14:35
Hi

I have just had a call from Margaret Curtis at Callanish and she confirms that the claimed "New Discovered" Stone Circle is in fact Callanish X (known as Druirn Nan Eun or Na Dromannan).

This first recorded in 1914 and published in the Royal Commission For The Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland Inventory of the Western Isles 1928 and has been documented on several occasions including in publications by Margaret Curtis (Ponting) and Ron Curtis, Aubrey Burl and Historic Scotland and in several general publications also.

Hope that this helps to clarify matters.

Joolio
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

New Callanish Stone Circle Update
Sep 02, 2003, 20:15
It'll not make any news programmes but I've discovered a new stone circle. It's between 30 and 35 metres in diameter, quite high up, in Knarsdale. The drought is causing the peat to pull away from the stones and this makes them easier to recognise. The vegetation is also dying on top of the stones - which are all on their sides. There's no footpath access and I've lost a pair of reading glasses up there. I'll get back later in the week with my turf knife and a sharp spade.

Also I've identified two arcs of the double circle at Kirkhaugh - for the same reasons. Like a great twit I didn't photograph it as I went past on the railway track (now South Tyne Trail). The farmers are very tense as they have little grass to fatten this year's lambs. I've never seen the hills as dry as this. Been drinking bad water - it takes a few days to find out - we take so much for granted ...
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

Story from the Stornoway Gazette
Sep 08, 2003, 15:55
http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Newspaper/Article&pid=1034254631790&cid=1060350159439
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index