Stone Shifting

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Stone Shifting
Aug 20, 2003, 08:44
Hi Moey
Never tried an uneven stone, I started by thinking about Stonehenge. At the end of the day dropping a stone into an hole is all about finding the balance point, I don't think this would be to difficult even on an odd shaped stone.

The process is not really so violent, the stone just sort of "plops" into the hole and it can be extremely accurate.
grrr
grrr
182 posts

I want to move a mountain
Aug 21, 2003, 11:00
I've been following this thread, and think it's time to get to work.

Have I understood correctly that a test run with a 40 ton stone would cost around £1000 for materials, or would it be more than that?

It strikes me that £1000 isn't much for a company to sponsor the work, which would surely gather some media attention.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: I want to move a mountain
Aug 21, 2003, 11:03
Think that was the cost if they (we) had to make a concrete 'stone' (expensive). But then it moved on to moving a 'real' stone meaning it SHOULD be free.

Or perhaps I got dreamt it.

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Oops...
Aug 21, 2003, 11:04
How'd that 'got' get there?

love

Moth
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Oops...
Aug 21, 2003, 11:19
Yes, a free one would be ideal, and would have more authenticity. But NOT 40 tons! Gordon has already managed 4 tons and is now wanting to try 10 tons.
grrr
grrr
182 posts

Aug 21, 2003, 11:20
It sounds like a daft question, but if we wanted to leave the stone upright, whould we need planning permission? It would be quite big.
grrr
grrr
182 posts

Re: Oops...
Aug 21, 2003, 11:21
Are there plans being made off site?

If so, how can we get involved?
grrr
grrr
182 posts

clarification
Aug 21, 2003, 11:23
by 'off site' I meant away from this forum, btw.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 21, 2003, 11:54
Not daft at all. Quite right I would think. It would probably be wise to let a whole bunch of bodies know, so we don't end up with a controversy.
Stage one is just a bit of experimental shifting though. No off-site stuff going on that I know of, except perhaps film company stuff (?). I guess it's a bit stalled at present until one of us comes up with a location where we can get a landowners permission. Maybe it's just a case of asking friendly farmers.
Moth talked about they/we taking part. I reckon it should be compulsory for everyone. It's all very well us all endlessly talking about stones, but this is the real thing. Them as doesn't go will be mere theorists whereas them as does can tell 'em straight how it really was!
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Aug 21, 2003, 12:12
I've emailed Gordon about a possible approach re TV, am awaiting a reply.

Agreed, it should be mandatory (travel permitting) for folks on here.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index