Stonehenge »
Stone Shifting

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: I want to move a mountain
Aug 22, 2003, 09:27
Maybe one of the Beeb's holes is still there and we could use that? I read, with great delight, that the farmer had later insisted they take their trilithon down and put it in storage as it had become a place of pilgrimage for hordes of New-Agers!
grrr
grrr
182 posts

Aug 22, 2003, 10:00
He'd probably not considered the possibility that a gang of people who met on the internet would come and try to put them back up again!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 22, 2003, 10:12
I think we may get caught up in a lot of bureaucracy if we go there. The BBC people said they were forced to use modern rope, not replica stuff because of "health and safety" issues. Also, maybe English Heritage won't let us anywhere near unless they (and we) have loads of insurance cover. Looks like a bit of the "fun" element could be sucked out of it that way. Mind you, when the stone is being hauled up I'll be watching from behind a wall about 100 yards away. Fortunately, Gordon seems the sort who'll be right there though!
grrr
grrr
182 posts

Aug 22, 2003, 10:37
good point.

maybe we should concentrate on the 10 ton experiement first.

then I can take an informed view as to whether I should be with you behind the wall, at least!
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Stone Shifting
Aug 22, 2003, 10:40
We are gonna need insurance etc for the big one, thats were the TV production company comes in. Although the process is perfectly safe, while we are just practising it shouldn't be a problem.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Aug 22, 2003, 14:34
I've only just picked up on this discussion, though I have emailed Gordon directly. So far I've only read about half of the previous postings, but I have no doubt that Gordon's method is viable and I take my hat off to him for his practical approach.

I would be very willing to get involved in any further demonstrations. I might even be able to help raise some funding. What about making it a charity event? My wife went on a trek on the Great Wall of China last year and raised over £3,000 in sponsorship, just from local businesses and friends. I'm sure if everyone on this thread got involved we could soon raise several thousand pounds. How about erecting a full-sized trilithon and give the surplus funds to a national charity? The charity organisation will have their own publicity network that can be brought to bear. If you get a good build up to the event it should make the national TV news. Then people should sit up and take notice.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Aug 22, 2003, 15:01
OK, now I've read the entire thread and I'm up to speed. Count me in for any activity. It's a 2 hour drive to Derby for me, but that's no big problem. I'm self employed so I think I could persuade my boss to give me time off.
GordonP
474 posts

Aug 22, 2003, 15:31
Welcome aboard Steve
Not sure about the charity idea though, I come from a very working class background and the only money raising I've ever worried about was raising some beer money. Still I'll wait and see what the others think.
grrr
grrr
182 posts

funding
Aug 22, 2003, 16:20
it sounds like the 10 ton test isn't going to be too pricey, do you think we could self fund that bit & get it done in the next couple of months (before the days get too short) then we'd have the whole Winter to plan the big 40 ton operation?
GordonP
474 posts

Re: funding
Aug 22, 2003, 17:21
Can't see things moving that fast but even the shorter days of winter won't slow us much. In the early days of testing we'll be on a steep learning curve and much will be learnt in a few hours. I envisage several sessions perhaps not all with the same crew, just whoever can make it. Inbetween tests we can discuss the results over the net and plan refinements. If the group continues to grow self financeing of the early tests may be a possibililty.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index