Ritual Landscapes

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
baza
baza
1308 posts

Re: Wood from the trees
Aug 02, 2003, 14:54
Yesterday, I just happened to pass by my nearest henge, Condicote in Glos.

There`s very little to see now :o(

However, it has been excavated, and from the snails found, they deduce that it was situated in woodland.

Another thing that I noticed, which is true of others, is that the ditch was dug six feet down *into the bedrock*. That makes me think that they *really* needed to have a ditch there.

Unless `the tribe next door have got a henge so we`re going to have one, too.....whatever it takes.`

baz
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Tits are boring anyway
Aug 02, 2003, 14:55
Shut up Baz. I always end up looking like your 'yes' man.

love

Moth

PS I didn't mean it about the 'boring' thing.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

There you go ...
Aug 02, 2003, 15:37
... I reckon it's finished now :-)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

'Sleeping Beauty'
Aug 02, 2003, 19:03
Bugger. Can't get hold of me mate with the scanner....

Soon though!

love

Moth
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Aug 03, 2003, 00:14
I've just started reading Neolithic Britain and Ireland by Caroline Malone.

In it she has a table showing chronology and features:

4000-3200BC - Wooded Landscape, causewayed enclosures, cursus monuments.

3200-2800BC - Semi Cleared landscapes, Enclosures, henges, avenues and alignments.

2800-2000 BC - Open Landscape, elaborate henges and stone circles, stone rows, avenues and pit alignments.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 14:45
My current opinion, for what it`s worth, is that henges would be used for corralling livestock.

How do you control livestock in wooded areas? Tether them all?

Presumably, they`d have to gather them together, sometimes. The ditch inside the bank would prevent their escape.

baz
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 14:56
I don't agree, unless they had some pretty massive animals :o)

you can keep a few animals in by building a fenced enclosure. There's no need for a ditch - a waste of effort - animals will quickly erode the sides and do themselves and injury in the process. A henge bank would similarly need a lot of maintenance to prevent it eroding to a point where animals can just stroll up it - sheep can climb hills steeper than you can make with loose earth. The design issues alone make a henge an impractical animal enclosure.

The other option to keep animal coralled is of course - trees.

I do think however, that some stone circles may be particulalrly ornate sheepfolds!
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 15:34
I'm with you Brigantes (except on the 'sheepfold' theory). What advantage would a henge have over just a fence or stockade or something?

love

Moth
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 15:49
No I'm talking (in a light hearted sort of way) about some particulalrly small "possibles" that I've seen.

There are also possibly a couple of enclosures that I've seen that may have been henges that were converted into sheepfolds by filling in the gaps. There's a one by Reeth, at a place called Castle, which has a single stone in the centre and has a large number of orthostats in the roughly circular enclosure. I think of it a some sort of ritual enclosure linked with the mines. Shall I post it? When I first saw it I was not confident of my interpretation, I'm a lot more confident of an early date for this one now (not the henge bit though, since it's more of a banjo enclosure built of orthostats.).
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 15:58
"...Shall I post it...."

Well I'd like to see it, but I'm not sure if that's a criterion!

love

Moth
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index