The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ritual Landscapes

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Henges designed to exclude?
Aug 01, 2003, 11:47
If they were used continually that would be unlikely (cathedrals don't turn into sports halls very often) but I suppose if they went unused for a hundred years at some point there's no reason why they wouldn't be recycled if they were a jolly useful size and shape.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Aug 01, 2003, 11:47
Used continuously not continually. Just the pedant in me.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Cursuses
Aug 01, 2003, 11:59
That's really interesting, looks like my ideas were not so odd as I thought - linking the rivers etc.

Right, I'll expand on my "the early years theory" later.

I have also come up with a "Copist" theory explaining exactly why Thorborough is where it is and why it is perhaps the most important site in Britain!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Aug 01, 2003, 12:16
But Chapels become houses and Banks become winebars

It's only a matter of time before a Cathedral becomes a sports hall :-)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Aug 01, 2003, 12:41
You've been watching too much telly. Anyway you're probably right. Didn't Jesus have to turn a bazaar out of the temple? And judging by the amount of vaguely relevant stuff they sell in most cathedrals these days it's about the same.

By the way, I'm enjoying your nice weblog so far:) Nice to see you visited so many sites in such a short time - not just something you confine to Ireland then!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Why thank you
Aug 01, 2003, 13:03
I'll be finishing it off tonight and tomorrow.

The biggest bit will be to filter the 300+ photos I took. I know I can't really post images for some sites as they're already saturated with every conceivable angle :-)

Now I have a quandry. I need some of the images to demonstrate a few points I want to make, but some of these will be duplicates. So, I have the choice of posting a double (knowing that it will stay there) or refering to someone else's photo which may be deleted by them, thus buggering up my weblog. hhhmmm ....

The text is already written (fieldnotes on PDA made on site) and I just have the conclusion (so far) to write up.

I'm back in North Wales next week to finish the job off I hope! At which point I think I will *know*. Don't know where I'll be going in Ireland, but I'm fairly certain it'll involve portal tombs :-) Only another 100 to see now ....

Then I can write a little book :-) I actually gained quite some very useful insight into the Irish portal tombs from visiting this lot.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Why thank you
Aug 01, 2003, 13:15
Will you be alright when you finish visiting all the sites in Ireland? I don't want you to feel bereft and empty every weekend. What are you going to do? I suppose you'll be busy with the book. And you will earn your rightful place in the archaeological honours of Ireland.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Every site in Ireland?
Aug 01, 2003, 14:10
There's only 10,000 of them or there abouts. Could take a while, even at my rate of coverage :-)
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Aug 01, 2003, 14:24
York Minster.
You have a large space with the medaevel cathedral built on an earlier christian structure built on a roman structure which may in turn be built over on a pre-roman structure.
The structure has been constantly altered to suit whatever form of christian worship is in vogue. There are burials beneath the floor of the church there are satelite burials, memorial stones and chapels around the minster and the road system is aligned to the minster.
The minster itself has narrow entrances a large open spaces and contains a number of chapels dedicated to different factions of the faith. There is even a chapel dedicated to fallen warriors and an area that tracks the movements of the heavens.
This building site has been in constant use for over two millenia and has evolved throughout that time.

Is it not possible that landscape around and within a henge could not have evolved in a similar way?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Every site in Ireland?
Aug 01, 2003, 14:43
phew, thank goodness for that. You'll be alright for a while yet then.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index