Sacred Landscapes

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Unbelievable
Jul 30, 2003, 21:41
"They go on to claim that this structure is `sacred` to their non-existent God.

I believe that that claim is wrong, obviously.

'Belief' is the bone of contention here, you cannot dispute 'belief' with 'belief'?

You cannot be wrong in claiming something sacred, unless you are lying. I don't find them to be lying, they believe it is sacred, and therefore it is, just as you believe them to be wrong, so therefore they 'are' (wrong), in your opinion.

AGHY!
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Sacred Landscapes
Jul 30, 2003, 21:44
> Nothing is sacred, to me.

Isn't this missing the point a bit. You don't have to be religious to understand the idea of 'sanctity'. I don't have direct experience of having my ears sliced off, but I have an idea that it might hurt.

:-)#

> We don`t know if any site was regarded as sacred, a few thousand years ago in Britain.

I'd dispute this. We couldn't expect to get much more evidence than we have that there were concepts of sanctity in prehistoric Britain. The dead were treated with respect, and placed in specific areas relating to the landscape. Why did these practises take place if not for some religious or spiritual purpose? Why bother creating sites that required such great human effort for earthly purposes (and by that I mean non-supernatural in a conventional sense)?

K x

K x
baza
baza
1308 posts

Re: Nothing is sacred
Jul 30, 2003, 21:45
No.

It`s you who`s got it wrong.

I regard sacred is a religious term, you don`t. This is where we disagree.

I am in wonder at Stonehenge for *what it is*.

What we can all agree on.

A lasting structure which was built thousands of years ago by a people of which we know little about. The mystery of how? *Why?*

baz
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Jul 30, 2003, 21:45
Too many 'K's, but you get my drift.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: words and power
Jul 30, 2003, 21:46
"Ultimately, is our own perception of Reality 'real and not sacred'"

Perfect!

~o~
wychburyman
951 posts

Jul 30, 2003, 21:47
I think your last para is spot on.

However what we all need to do I think is substitute "wrong" with "different"

Do this and we might all get along a little better
pure joy
pure joy
334 posts

Jul 30, 2003, 21:50
I don't think we all disagree much - I think this whole thread turns on each of our owns understanding of the word 'sacred' - does it mean 'religious' or does it mean 'highly valued'?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Got it wrong?
Jul 30, 2003, 21:50
You mean I misunderstood you, or I was 'wrong'??

If it was the former, then I dispute that too, you are using imperfect logic. Belief is belief. You can believe that it is wrong, but it still makes you a believer in your own belief. And things like sacred spaces are in many and varying parts wholly subjective, which precludes 'right' and 'wrong' , but does not perhaps exclude 'useful' or 'useless'

?
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Sacred is...
Jul 30, 2003, 21:52
In the absence of an OED:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sacred

K x
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jul 30, 2003, 21:54
I`m certainly not saying that their right to believe is wrong.

People can believe whatever they want, as far as I am concerned, as long as it doesn`t encroach onto the rights of others.

baz
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index