Sacred Landscapes

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: TimeGhost
Jul 31, 2003, 12:56
"Wine into water takes a big bureaucracy to sustain, whereas water as a life-force is a much easier message to keep going."

And I repeat ... there's short term profit in *Wine into water* so it's much more appealling :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The problem there is ...
Jul 31, 2003, 12:57
Luckily.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Are you really you?
Jul 31, 2003, 13:12
If Baza isn't, perhaps I'm you 4W, because I totally agree....

Sorry, just catching up on missed threads - too much work!

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: definition of Sacred?
Jul 31, 2003, 13:20
YES! Iwas waiting for someone to say that! (Still catching up...with th thread - it's good stuff so far!)

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Am I missing something?
Jul 31, 2003, 13:29
'The most "wrong" group to me are the catholic church.'

Surely wrong is wrong if talking about 'wrong' as in 'incorrect'? (I wouldn't disagree with the sentiment though.)

'Only when it is forced upon society does it really become wrong.'

Have you moved from 'incorrect' to morally 'wrong'?

'I suppose you would ban Santa Claus as it meets most of the criteria you set out. Children are therefore "wrong".'

I'm very confused now. Yes, they're 'wrong' as in incorrect. Santa doesn't exist (sorry all). They're not morally wrong though....

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Babies '!!!!' and the land
Jul 31, 2003, 13:56
They don't though do they?!!!! It's just 'there' until someone tells 'em how ace it is or they start thinking 'how did this all get here then?'

Or you could say that they say '!!!!' to everything until it becomes mundane or someone tells them it's nowt special....

It certainly doesn't help with working out the anything to do with 'significant', 'ritual' or (ugh) 'Sacred' landscapes...! (Unfortunately!)

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: sacred in the eye?
Jul 31, 2003, 14:08
That's as may be, but I think people are still slightly misinterpreting what Baza' s saying (hope this is OK Baz).

You're talking about the concept. As I see it Baz is (only?) objecting to the useage of the WORD, especially in connection with things that may or MAY or may NOT have had religious significance.

What I think Baz is saying is that widening the use of the word 'sacred' in the context of 'ritual' or 'significant landscapes' can cause confusion. MANY people NOT including Baz will misinterpret it as meaning 'sacred=holy=religious', so it's a term worth avoiding in this context. That's certainly my view anyway!

The fact that we're even having to discuss definition(s) of 'sacred' means it MUST be a confusing term....

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Sacred Landscapes
Jul 31, 2003, 14:13
The problem is that to some people it IS, in the sense of its original meaning. With some people regarding it as equalling religion and some people not, things get confusing, so it's a word best avoided in this kind of context.... (IMO)

love

Moth
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: TimeGhost
Jul 31, 2003, 14:14
>"I was thinking of tempting you back with an offer to buy one of your pictures. Now you’ve saved me a fiver! ;)"
Bugger! I missed out there ;-)

...Joseph Campbell summed this stuff up in his great book 'The Power of Myth',

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385247745/qid=1059656208/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-6159502-6282019

which was essential reading for me for many years. It made *everything* fall into place for me. Its hard to explain in words. As I have journeyed both through life and over the surface of our planet, more and more of what he says makes absolutely perfect sense and transcends any notion of organised religion, culture, society. (I'm speaking as an atheist.) It's about the essential qualities of the human spirit.... now I'm blathering... just get down to your library and have a shufti...

J
x
PS >"Glad you’re back."
Thanks nigelswift, that's *really* nice! X
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

A demon writes
Jul 31, 2003, 15:48
Memo to PJ: people ARE picking on you.

love

Moth...um, I mean 'A Demon'