Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Yes!
Jul 18, 2003, 16:05
Jane,
About this, that you've just uploaded:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/image.php?image_id=16314

Forget sycophancy or polite murmurings, it is actually spot on, IMHO, the real thing. The balance you've got is almost unnerving (and certainly very annoying!)
If you're going to sell it, put the price up a lot. I bet it'll go.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Yes!
Jul 18, 2003, 16:51
You're kidding, Nige!?

You know, I am the WORST judge of my own work... this was a little idea I spotted last weekend after passing through the Rollrights on my Saturday jaunt between Stratford and Oxford. I tossed it off on Saturday and Sunday eve (as it were). I can't even remember what price I bunged it on my website for... pause to check it out.... 75 quid unframed. It's quite pretty, i s'pose!

Many of the pics that I think 'that's GREAT!' people just don't react to in the same way. I absolute ADORE this one: http://www.janetomlinson.com/images/fullcircle_fullmoon.jpg
but I've only sold one of the four. Its so weird cos i think its a corking piece.

There are so many of my works that end up on the 'its crap' pile that I have to rely on treaclechops and Traff to tell me: 'hey that's good!' So i've given up trying to assess them myself.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is if you have enjoyed looking at it, then it has been a success and worth my time doing it. Thanks for the vote of conf, nige.
:-)
J
xx
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 18, 2003, 17:30
That's the ruddy problem isn't it - the harder you try the less you get what you want, and then another time along comes a scene and hops onto your paper all by itself and shows you who's boss.
The other one you mentioned IS very nice yet I prefer the first. I think that I'm more aware of the art and artifice in the full circle one, whereas you've done it all without it being apparent in the first. Anyway, let's face it the second one is brown, and the buying public are all pigs so won't like it as much!
I've looked at all your earth magic pieces on your site. Unsurprizingly, the nicest of all are the ones that you've already sold. I think the ones with stones in them appeal to me most, you're very good at capturing them. Except the quicky Avebury daub that I was delighted to see you'd offloaded to a Yank, hahahaha!
Sorry, mustn't lead you into slagging your customers, I'm sure they were very discerning.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jul 18, 2003, 17:46
I am unable to criticise ANYONE'S taste (even Americans -sorry Shestu!)because quite frankly, the more I try to work out what's popular, the more I haven't a clue. So I just paint what I want and what moves me, any ideas that spring up and hope that it strikes a chord with someone, somewhere.

This afternoon, I've just started on a piece working from a pile of stripy bluestone pebbles I picked up on a beach in Preseli. Someone might like it. Actually I'm doing it as diversion tactics as I can't seem to finish 'Mother Oxfordshire' and its pissing me off now.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Kapoor at the Rollrights tomorrow - that might give me some ideas, too: juxtaposition of ancient/modern forms and all that bollocks.

back to the painting...
J
x
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Jul 21, 2003, 09:41
Jane - thats a lovely painting, very loose and natural style - quite evocative!
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jul 21, 2003, 09:46
Thank you Wotan! :-)
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Jul 21, 2003, 10:20
Mikki absolutely loved it when I showed her yesterday. Said it looks as if you can see right through it!
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jul 21, 2003, 11:12
I'm amazed that stuff I produce provokes such a reaction, frankly! I just 'feel' it and then DO it and hope to God that someone likes it. You already know that I am entirely unable to judge my own work!

Hey, aint it quiet in here with 4Ws and Kammer. Wonder what them dudes is up to....??
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

SSShhhh!
Jul 21, 2003, 12:46
Quick visit while scoffing butties. It is quiet & I do miss 4W & K (x).

Did you notice though, that just as 4W disappeared, Kammer briefly reappeared....

love

Moth
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Jul 21, 2003, 13:26
Jane, You've got mail...
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index