The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Reclaim The Stones

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Droood
58 posts

Re: Reclaim The Stones
Dec 11, 2000, 15:27
If you work close to Birmingham, take the train to Wolverhampton, you get some outstanding 'mother hill' type outcrops (especially the one at Oldbury, and also the Wrens Nest in Dudley, as well as castle hill). Also just outside Stoubridge, the Clents are an unusual outcrop (along with Whychbury with it's overgrown hillfort, spooky, and the hills towards Kinver also with another hillfort, albeit in ill repair.
Closer to Birmingham are the Lickey hills, and theres a great walk from the beakon through Waseley hills country park out to the Clents (and Kinver if you've still got the puff).
The Hills to the North of Pwelli going towards Bangor have one of Wales's most outstanding hillforts, though its a climb to get there. There's also bags of prehistoric remains in the locale.
Happy hunting...
Droood
58 posts

Dec 11, 2000, 15:43
I've tried visiting your site, it sounds great, but alas i could'nt get in. Any pointers...
Buzzard of Morfe
196 posts

Spooky?
Dec 11, 2000, 15:51
Yet another one notices the Wychbury Enigma!

Please mail me.

Regards, Morfe.
Droood
58 posts

Re: Spooky?
Dec 11, 2000, 16:32
Yeah, it's a fab place,I always try and pay a visit when i'm in the area, the ramparts to the West are vast (i know i slipped down them), and theres stacks of old Yew trees dotted around the interior (a sacred tree to our ancient brethren as well as the cross swingin' christians, aparently all of the tree is highly poisonous, except for the red berries). Every time i've been, whatever time of year it's always been deserted (i've yet to brave a visit at night, it puts the willies up me in the day as it is) Has that Napolionic war memorial fell over yet? It's been tettering for years, and whats with the Neo Classical temple further down? Was'nt there some local story about a witch being hung there during the war or something (who put Bella in the Whychelm? or something like that. I don't know, maybe i've got my wires crossed, but i thought i saw something on Central news once.
C33
17 posts

Dec 11, 2000, 19:32
The most awesome "Natural temple" I've been to is Brimham rocks which Julian rightly gives respect to in the MA. This place is weird, like the Badlands of North Yorkshire. It's best visited this time of year (less chance of school trips and ice-cream vans). Nearby, (Halfway between Leeds and Harrogate) is another mighty Temple to the elements, Almscliff Crags which JC doesn't mention. Even though its a favourite spot for Pepsi-max drinking climbing types its easy to get up to the top and enjoy the views. Itsa place which definitely has "the Vibe". A dead giveaway is the Holly (holy) Hill farm marked on the map next to it.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index