Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Why Yorkshire?
Jul 13, 2003, 16:18
Moth,
You asked me a while back why I've decided on Yorkshire.
1. Buttercrambe, North Yorkshire
2. Darley Dale, Derbyshire
3. Thornborough as the pictures I have seen are fascinating. Also I am hoping that Brigantesnation is serious about weaving a story about it. To me, the imagination is a very necessary tool for breathing life into the bones/stones of a place. It helps me feeeel the place and step outside of the archealogical logic..... which i don't dis mind you. Once the logic is in place.... I want to hear an interpretation that puts flesh on them thar bones. As fourwinds has stated and I agree you cannot fully walk in the footsteps of these people..... but for me, the FUN is in playfully trying 8o)

To tell the truth I have cooled a bit on the idea, as the anti-american sentiment.... has got me looking at the Virgin Islands er somethin less political. Not that I wont make the pilgrimage just not sure about the timing.
nickbrand
nickbrand
431 posts

Re: Why Yorkshire?
Jul 13, 2003, 16:39
Shestu,

I wouldn't worry about anti-American sentiments - these are mainly expressed against the current American government, not individuals. Many people here don't agree with Blair and Bush's undemocratic stances. I personally do not view all Americans as Bush supporters. In fact many of my friends there, though republican voters, disagee with Bush and many of his policies.

If you were to limit yourself to visiting places where there are no anti-American sentiments expressed, you'll find the world a very limited place. Don't let the thought put you off, just visit and enjoy yourself. I'm sure there are many on here who would agree with me.
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Jul 13, 2003, 17:14
Thanks Nickbrand,
I'm sure what you say is true 8o) I am glad to know that you have some sane american friends.

Something about being so far from home and having to rely on strangers, probably would be good for me and teach me to trust. It is the reverse that I worry about... wanting to get to know the locals, find a pub, have a few pints.... get some american hater harassing us......

These are things I will have to work out for myself. I only stated my dilema so that people will not feel inclined to tell me of sites to see... just until I get more clarity in my head.

My husband wants to go to the Virgin Islands, U.S. and I have been very stubborn about England. Would hate to talk him into something... and then never live it down.

Anyway I appreciate you supportive comments.... I'll work it through 8o)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jul 13, 2003, 19:21
How do you mean, Anti-American sentiment?

Lot of people don't like what Bush n Blair have been doing, but I'm not aware of any anti-american 'people' feeling.

(Well, no more than usual!!!) ;^)

love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jul 13, 2003, 19:34
Shite, didn't notice that Nick had already replied!!!!

Just got in from stomping around sites in the Peak District - it must be the sunstroke, dehydration & heat exhaustion kicking in....

You WILL be fine if you come.

We'll all give you instructions on sites & pubs if and whenever you decide to come - in person when possible! And I'm sure Brigantesnation'll sort you out for Thornborough.

Personally I think you ought to 'strike while the iron's hot' - discovering TMA was serendipity....

love

Moth
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Jul 13, 2003, 19:39
Gee thanks Moth! Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling?#@ Actually I'm not sure what it gave me.

I feel I have been too idealistic in what I hoped to find over there. I wonder if what I am searching for is not long gone and I could connect to it just well where I am at.

The thing is, in America the closest people I can find who share my views on the sacredness of mother earth are the Native Americans. Yet when I share in thier ceremonies etc. people ask if I have Native American blood in me.

Learning about my bloodlines.... has helped me understand why I am the way I am and why I yearn for and love things that cannot be explained logically. The problem with America being so new is that practically everyones roots come from somewhere else! I see many English people make fun of this pilgrimage and I feel it is sad and misunderstood 8o)

Love

Shestu
Shestu
Shestu
373 posts

Jul 13, 2003, 19:45
Oops! Crossed paths in our messages! Will talk later I'm meeting with friends. 8o)

Love

Shestu
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Jul 13, 2003, 21:20
On a kind of 'practical' note, why Buttercrambe & Darley Dale? (I was near the latter today... could've said 'Hi!' for you!)

On less 'practical' matters, I don't think 'hoping to find something' in itself CAN be too idealistic. Surely any kind of hope is idealistic to some extent.

If you were EXPECTING your world to move on its axis because of an experience at a site over here, then you might end up disappointed. (Not to say it couldn't happen, because it could.)

I'd be astonished if you didn't find SOMETHING to connect to at SOME sites - though it might not be what you're looking for or expecting.

One thing's as damn sure as mustard - if you don't come, you won't find it!!!! I sometimes do (in a small way) and I'm not even all that interested in LOOKING for that 'spiritual' (that word again) side of things!!

'Connecting' to things from where you are is all well and good, and there's nothing wrong with doing this, but aren't you always connecting on your own terms or someone else's terms (writers etc) until you actually visit a place?

Only by going to the place can you see it on IT'S terms. In my experience, even if the site is very ruined you still gain everything by seeing the actual place it is in and adding that to anything you've read, seen or heard.

I may be 'off-base' (hmmm 'Yank' phrase! LOL) but, for example, I can read loads about a site from an archeological, a descriptive and a 'what it was for' point of view, yet I still find something when I go to most sites that I wouldn't otherwise have 'got'.

Now, that can sometimes be a 'good' thing - today seeing Doll Tor and 9 Stones Close Stone Circles for the first time both gave me something good that I've not had from reading and photos (especially 9 Stones Close, to my surprise...).

Or it can be a 'bad' thing - you can get to a site and find it doesn't live up to your 'expectations' or your perceived 'understanding' of the site. Or that it doesn't 'give' you what you expect. For example I managed to be a bit 'disappointed' in Callanish at first (I'll get excommunicated for saying that!!).

But it was just that I'd seen so many pictures, read so much about the theories and the place, and read about people's experiences and feelings at the place, that I thought I knew what I'd feel. It wasn't until I visited it for about the 3rd time while we were on the island that I found THE Callanish! Not the one I'd read about or the one I expected!

Of course, whether the relationship between expectation and experience is 'good' or 'bad', you still gain something. And there's always some element (big or small) that you wouldn't have got if you hadn't BEEN there.

Hope that all makes some kind of sense.

Finally, British people really do poke fun at just about everything! It's not a myth or an excuse! Most people with an ounce of intelligence could understand on some level the need that people like yourself have for a 'pilgrimage' to discover something of a 'past' they have never actually seen.

It's just that most people don't bother thinking about it and poke fun! And others (like people here) understand and poke fun anyway!!!!!!!!

Anyway, you'd better say you're coming before Fourwinds gets on here. From him you'll just get:

'Stop waffling and making excuses and get on the fecking plane!'

Or words to that effect....

Hope you had a good time with your friends!

love

Moth

PS If fear of Fourwinds is putting you off coming, we'll protect you!
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jul 13, 2003, 22:36
I agree! please come, Shestu. We'll make you very welcome!
J
x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

hhhmmmm
Jul 13, 2003, 23:02
I'll sort you out later Moth ... perhaps by turning on a very big lightbulb over Sellafield! :-)

Anyway, Shestu, I'm across the little pond and so won't be bothering you in the UK.

I went Sheela hunting today! Found a lovely one. I'll post a link to her as soon as I've put her on line. She has quite a story to tell, but only a very, very recent one. However, it's one you'll love.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin ...

She was discovered when a milk lorry knocked over a gatepost. She was built into it (facing inwards) and so nobody knew of her existence. I think she must have been hidden after a local (prudish) priest told the locals to destory her, but they couldn't bring themselves to do it. Anyway, she was built into a wall in the farmyard and has lived there ever since. A couple of years ago the farmer dies and his son and wife moved into the house. One year later she gave birth to TRIPLETS!!!

Nice story, but all coincidence of course :-)

Now back to you ... if you are meant to make the journey you will make it. Don't force it.

I walk around with a very anti-war badge on all the time and I'm always bumping into yanks. 90% of them admire the badge. The rest say nothing. The ordinary American is perceived as no threat (by most) and don't forget, if all Americans are bastards through Bush then all Brits are too through Blair ... that's not what people think though. We know because we didn't want Blair to do what he did (is doing) that not all Americans wanted Bush to be Bush.

Anothe question ... why do you end your posts with the name of a Yoga position?
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index